|Born||30 May 1954|
|Genres||Hindustani classical music|
|Associated acts||also accompanied Pt. Ravi Shankar, Ut. Shahid Parvez|
Anindo Chatterjee is an Indian tabla player of the Farukhabad gharana school. He was born into a musical family. His uncle, Pt. Debiprasad Chatterjee, is an eminent sitar player of India. His younger sister, Smt. Keka Mukherjee, is a leading sitar player of AIR and also well known for her solo performances. Chatterjee is a disciple of Pt. Jnan Prakash Ghosh. Gifted with an ability to summon crystal-clear melodies from his drums, he evolved into one of the world's greatest tabla players.
As director of the Farrukhabad Gharana of Tabla, founded by Haji Vilayat Khan Saheb, Chatterjee continues to give new voice to his instrument. In addition to solo performances and recordings, Chatterjee worked with sitar players Nikhil Banerjee, Imrat Khan, Budhaditya Mukherjee, and Rais Khan, Pandit Ravi Shankar, Shahid Parvez, Pt.Manilal Nag, sarod players Buddhadev Das Gupta and Ali Akbar Khan, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan,Tejendra Narayan Majumder, flutist Hariprasad Chaurasia; santoor player Pandit Shivkumar Sharma; and vocalists Pandit Mallikarjun Mansur and Gangubai Hangal.
Inspired by his uncle, Pandit Biswanath Chatterjee, Chatterjee began playing tabla at the age of five. Studying briefly with Ustad Afaq Hussain Khan of the Lucknow Gharana, he advanced to studying under Pandit Jnan Prakash Ghosh, with whom he studied for three decades. The recipient of the prestigious President's Award in 1970, Chatterjee became the first tabla player to perform in the House of Commons 20 years later. He performed at Rashtrapati Bhavan when U.S. President Barack Obama visited India in November 2010. Chatterjee received the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for 2002.
- 1982 Raga, Baul Melody & Tabla Solo (LP, Album), Chhanda Dhara / SP 7082
- 1983 Pandit Ramgopal Misra And His Orchestra / Anindo Chatterjee - Kathak Music / Tabla Ekak (LP, Album), Chhanda Dhara / SP 8083
- 1983 Nandu Muley / Anindo Chatterjee - Raga Ahir-Bhairav / Raga Ragesree (LP)
- 1985 Hariprasad Chaurasia, Anindo Chatterjee - Fabulous Flute Of Hariprasad Chaurasia (LP, Album), Chhanda Dhara / SP 10185
- 1989 Hariprasad Chaurasia, Anindo Chatterjee - Rāg Lalit, Nimbus Records
- 1990 Budhaditya Mukherjee, Anindo Chatterjee - Rāg Rāmkalī / Rāg Jhiñjoṭī, Nimbus Records
- 1990 Ram Narayan, Anindo Chatterjee - Rag Shankara, Rag Mala in Jogia (CD, Album), Nimbus Records / NI 5245
- 1992 Stephen James (3) - Anindo Chatterjee - Raga And Tala (Cass) Divergo n. 4
- 1996 Pandit Amit Bhattacharya, Anindo Chatterjee - Homage To Guruma Annapurna Devi & Pandit Jotin Bhattacharya (CD, Album), Keltia Musique Kcmd 54
- 2007 Taro Terahara / Pt.Anindo Chatterjee - Air (CD, Album, RP), Nada Music NADA-003
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anindo Chatterjee.|
|This Indian music-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a drummer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|