This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)
|Born||1964 (age 58–59)|
Bloomington, Indiana, U.S.
|Alma mater||Caltech, Stanford University|
Anirvan Ghosh (Bengali: অনির্বাণ ঘোষ) is an American neuroscientist and Biotech executive.
He served as the Global Head of Neuroscience Discovery at F. Hoffmann-La Roche from 2011 to 2016 and as founding CSO of E-Scape Bio from 2016 to 2017. He was the Head of Research and Early Development at Biogen from 2017 to 2020 and is currently the CEO of Unity Biotechnology.
Anirvan Ghosh was born in 1964 in Bloomington, Indiana and grew up in Kanpur, India. After completing high school at Central School (Kendriya Vidyalaya) IIT Kanpur, he moved to the U.S. to pursue his undergraduate education at the California Institute of Technology. He graduated with a B.S. with honors in Physics from Caltech in 1985. From 1985 to 1990 he was a graduate student in the Stanford University Neurosciences Graduate Program, where he worked on the role of subplate neurons in establishing cortical connections in the laboratory of Carla J. Shatz. He received his Ph.D. in Neurobiology from Stanford University in 1991. His postdoctoral training was with Michael E. Greenberg at Harvard Medical School where he worked on regulation of differentiation by extracellular signals and calcium regulation of BDNF expression. From 1995 to 2003 he was on the faculty in the Department of Neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. While at Johns Hopkins he cloned CREST as a calcium-regulated transcription factor and showed that it plays a critical role in brain development. In 2003 he moved to UCSD as the Stephen Kuffler Professor and served as Chair of Neurobiology in the Division of Biological Sciences. Ghosh served as the Global Head of Neuroscience Discovery at Roche from 2011 to 2016  and as the Head of Research and Early Development at Biogen from 2017 to 2020. Since 2020 he has served as CEO of UNITY Biotechnology, a company focused on developing therapies to slow, halt, or reverse diseases of aging.
- Ghosh, A., A. Antonini, S.K. McConnell and C.J. Shatz (1990). Requirement for subplate neurons in the formation of thalamocortical connections. Nature 347: 179-181
- Ghosh, A. and C.J. Shatz (1992). Involvement of subplate neurons in the formation of ocular dominance columns. Science 255:1441-1443.
- Ghosh, A., J. Carnahan and M.E. Greenberg (1994). Requirement for BDNF in activity-dependent survival of cortical neurons. Science 263:1618-1623.
- Ghosh, A. and M.E. Greenberg (1995). Distinct roles for bFGF and NT3 in the regulation of cortical neurogenesis. Neuron 15:89-103.
- Polleux, F., R.J. Giger, D.D. Ginty, A.L. Kolodkin, and A. Ghosh (1998). Patterning of cortical efferent projections by semaphorin-neuropilin interactions. Science 282:1904-1906.
- Polleux, F., T. Morrow and A. Ghosh (2000). Semaphorin 3A is a chemoattractant for developing cortical dendrites. Nature 404:567-573.
- Aizawa, H., Hu, S-C, Bobb, K., Balakrishnan, K., Ince, G., Gurevich, I., Cowan, M., and A. Ghosh (2004). Dendrite development regulated by CREST, a calcium-regulated transcription activator. Science 303:197-202.
- Qiu, Z. and A. Ghosh (2008) A calcium-dependent switch in a CREST-BRG1 complex regulates activity-dependent gene expression. Neuron 60:775-787.
- Sylwestrak, E and A. Ghosh (2012) Elfn1 regulates target-specific release probability at CA1-interneuron synapses. Science 338:536-540.
- ^ a b "Biosketch of Anirvan Ghosh 12-15-10" (PDF). The Ghosh Lab. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- ^ a b "Anirvan Ghosh named Head of Discovery for Roche's CNS". European Pharmaceutical Review. 21 February 2011. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- ^ a b "Biogen Appoints Anirvan Ghosh Senior Vice President, Research and Early Development". Biogen Media. March 16, 2017. Archived from the original on 19 June 2017. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- ^ "UNITY BIOTECHNOLOGY APPOINTS ANIRVAN GHOSH, PH.D. AS CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER".
- ^ "Cloning of CREST". ScienceDaily. January 9, 2004.
- Official page: Anirvan Ghosh, Professor of Biology, UCSD
- The Ghosh Lab
- Science Daily: Gene Essential For Development Of Normal Brain Connections Resulting From Sensory Input Discovered
- Science: Dendrite Development Regulated by CREST, a Calcium-Regulated Transcriptional Activator
- Johns Hopkins University Gazette: Heads up! The Brain Behind The Acclaim, by Michael Purdy
- Fundamental Neuroscience, Elsevier
- Directory of Pew Scholars
- BIOGEN press release
- UNITY BIOTECHNOLOGY press release
- 1964 births
- Bengali scientists
- American people of Bengali descent
- American neuroscientists
- People from Kanpur
- California Institute of Technology alumni
- Stanford University alumni
- Harvard Medical School alumni
- Johns Hopkins University faculty
- University of California, San Diego faculty
- Living people
- Kendriya Vidyalaya alumni
- Bengali people
- American academics of Indian descent
- Scientists from California
- Indian scholars