This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Anju Mahendroo at Zee Rishtey Awards 2010
Mahendru had a long relationship with actor Rajesh Khanna from 1966 to 1972. Khanna's mother had wanted to Khanna to get married soon, since he turned 27 and had become hugely popular by 1969, but when Khanna proposed Anju in 1971 she said she wanted to postpone her marriage as she wanted to make career as an actress. Khanna continued to love Mahendru and kept asking her to get married to him. Mahendru's mother was fond of Khanna and Khanna went on to gift them a bungalow as well. But then there were reports of her dating Gary Sobers in 1971 and later Imtiaz Ali from 1972 and Khanna had become fed up with her non-commitment to marriage, which resulted in Khanna breaking up with Mahendru in 1972.
It was then that Khanna married Dimple Kapadia in March 1973, eight months before the film Bobby released. Anju and Rajesh did not speak with each other till 1987. Anju dated Imtiaz Ali from 1972 to 1979 but Anju broke off from Imtiaz in 1979.
Anju became friends again with Rajesh from 1988 and Anju remained his close friend till Khanna's death and was by his side when he died. She confessed in an interview that it was because of her immaturity that she frivolously declined Khanna's offer of marriage to her in 1971 and had she accepted marriage she would have remained his wife.
Mahendru started modelling at the age of 13. She was discovered by poet and lyricist Kaifi Azmi who recommended her to Basu Bhattacharya. Basu cast her in Uski Kahani in 1966. Uski Kahani was the debut film for Mahendru as well as the first directorial venture of Basu Bhattacharya. She later went on to act in films such as Jewel Thief, Bandhan and Dastak. She never made it as a leading lady and moved to character roles. She was also featured in Nari Hira's television films featuring up and coming Aditya Pancholi in the mid-1980s.
She made a comeback in the 1990s in television acting in various soaps. She played Trishna's mother-in-law in the TV serial Hamari Betiyoon Ka Vivaah on Zee TV. She acted as Maan's daadi in Geet Hui Sabse Parayi. she also played the role of Jeevika, Maanvi, and Daboo's daadi in Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai. She is seen as Sujatha in Star Plus' Ye Hai Mohabbatein. Currently, she is seen as Gayatri Singh, the grandmother of the female lead, Anami, in Rishton Ka Chakravyuh on Star Plus.
- Mariam Khan - Reporting Live (TV series) (2018)... Beeji
- Rishton Ka Chakravyuh (TV series) (2017)... Gayatri Vikram Singh
- Soadies (2017)
- Kasautii Zindagii Kay (TV Series) (2005-2006)... Kaamini Gupta
- Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai (TV series) (2011-2013)... Beeji
- Yeh Hai Mohabbatein (TV series) (2015)... Sujata Kumar
- Do Dil Bandhe Ek Dori Se (TV series) (2013-2014)... Renuka
- Kuch Toh Log Kahenge (2012-2013) (TV series)... Dr Aradhana Bhardwaj
- Geet (2010-2011)... Sawatri Devi Khurana (Maan's Dadi)
- The Dirty Picture (2011)... Naila
- I Hate Luv Storys (2010)... Jay's mother
- Hum Ko Deewana Kar Gaye (2006)
- Page 3 (2005)... Ritu Bajaj
- Mohabbat Ho Gayi Hai Tumse (2005)
- Kahiin to Hoga (2004)... Reva Shergill (Sujal's Stepmom)
- Satta (2003)
- Kyon? (2003)... Sunidhi Narang
- Saathiya (2002)... Prema
- Waah! Tera Kya Kehna (2002)... Meena's mom
- A Pocket Full of Dreams (2001)... Asha
- Sukanya (1998) TV Series... Babli
- English Babu Desi Mem (1996)... TV Interviewer
- Aarohan (TV)
- Swabhimaan (1995) TV Series... Ranjana Devi
- Kabhi Yeh Kabhi Woh (1994-1995)... Rajni
- Dil Ki Baazi (1993)... Lalita V. Kashyap
- Muskurahat (1992)... Mayadevi (Verma's sister)
- Jaan Tere Naam (1992)... Mrs. Ajay Malhotra
- Hum To Chale Pardes (1988)
- Vijay (1988)... Bela
- Khatarnaak Irade (1987)... Anita
- Shingora (1986) (TV)
- Vakil Babu (1982)... Shanti (Prem's ex-girlfriend)
- Pyaas (1982)
- Ganga Ki Saugand (1978)... Courtesan
- Darwaza (1978)... Reshma
- Mukti (1977)... Shanno
- Umar Qaid (1975)
- Prem Shastra (1974)... Barkha Arora
- Hanste Zakhm (1973)
- Dastak (1970)
- Bandhan (1969)
- Intaquam (1969)... Indu
- Sunghursh (1968)... Kundan's sister
- Jewel Thief (1967)... Neena
- Uski Kahani (1966)
-  Archived 5 July 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- Anubha Sawhney (2007-03-04). "Romancing the maidens". Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Bharati Dubey (20 July 2012). "'Anju Mahendru present as Kaka took his final breath'". The Times of India.