This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||Jonathan "Jono" Grant, Paavo Siljamäki, Tony McGuinness|
|Genre||Electronic, trance, progressive trance, progressive house|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
Anjunabeats // is a British record label started by producers Jonathan "Jono" Grant and Paavo Siljamäki of Above & Beyond in 2000. The label exclusively released trance music until around 2011, when it started releasing primarily trance-edged house. Anjuna is the name of a beach in Goa, on India's western coast, which was a popular hippie destination in the 1960s and 1970s and is still popular with backpackers and other tourists.
In 2000, Anjunabeats released its first 12" record, titled Volume One, which was released under Grant and Siljamäki's alias Anjunabeats. As the label got the name Anjunabeats, they decided to produce under different aliases, such as Free State and Dirt Devils. They were soon joined by Tony McGuinness to form Above & Beyond.
In 2005, Above & Beyond launched the sub-label Anjunadeep aimed at releases that don't fit under the main label's trance focus, allowing more diversity within Anjunabeats. The trio also launched 2 other sub-labels, Anjunadigital that deals with special remixes and releases of Anjunabeats and Anjunadeep tracks, and Hard On Recordings that was active from 2000 to 2004 and focused on hard trance and hard house.
On 3 October 2017, Anjunabeats announced a collaboration with Beatport to host a production competition titled "Beats In School", in which the winner will earn a year-long mentorship with Anjunabeats artists. Canadian Joel Freck was named as the winner on 10 January 2018, among 20 contest finalists.
Anjunabeats was nominated at the International Dance Music Awards in Miami as Best Global Dance Record Label in the years 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015 and 2016. Two releases on the label were nominated for the Grammy Awards: Mat Zo's album Damage Control in 2015 and Above & Beyond's single ″We're All We Need″ in 2016.
List of artists adapted from The DJ List
- Kate Wilson (April 27, 2017). "Above & Beyond–led label Anjunabeats brings its showcase to Vancouver". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved 2017-05-06.
- discogs.com: Hard On Recordings on Discogs. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- Bagshaw, Bella (2017-10-03). "Anjunabeats and Beatport announce contest in search of young up-and-coming producer". Dancing Astronaut. Archived from the original on 2018-03-11. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- Dexter, Robyn (2018-01-10). "Anjunabeats and Beatport name new Beats In School winner". Dancing Astronaut. Archived from the original on 2018-03-11. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- "Anjunabeats Launches 24/7 Youtube Radio Station Featuring Trance & Deep House". EDMSauce. Archived from the original on 2018-03-11. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- 24th IDMA (2009)
- 25th IDMA (2010)
- 27th IDMA (2012)
- 30th IDMA (2015)
- 31st IDMA (2016)
- lessthan3.com: Grammy Nominations for Deadmau5, Mat Zo, and more. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- grammy.com: 58th Annual Grammy Awards Winners & Nominees: Best Dance Recoding. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- "Anjunabeats Artists". The DJ List. Retrieved 2018-02-07.