|Motto||Cumhuriyetin Bilim Güneşi (in Turkish)|
Motto in English
|Republic's Sun of Science|
|Rector||Prof.Dr. Erkan İBİŞ|
Ankara University (Turkish: Ankara Üniversitesi) is a public university in Ankara, the capital city of Turkey. It was the first higher education institution founded in Turkey after the formation of the republic in 1923.
Ankara University was founded by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the first president of Turkey.
Ankara University faculties are:
- Faculty of Political Science (1859). The faculty was founded as a community college in 1859 and has undergone series of changes since the establishment. It was named Mekteb-i Mulkiye-i Sahane under the Ministry of Internal Affairs but in 1918 the name was changed to Mekteb-i Mulkiye under the Ministry of Education. After the founding of the Republic, at the request of Atatürk, the school was moved to Ankara, and named the School of Political Science. On March 23, 1950, the school was placed under Ankara University as the "Faculty of Political Science".
- Public Administration, Labor Economics, Business Administration and International Relations.
- Faculty of Law (1925)
- Faculty of Language, History and Geography (1935)
- Faculty of Science (1943)
- Faculty of Medicine (1945)
- Faculty of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
- The School of Divinity was founded in 1949
- The School of Pharmacy in 1960
- The School of Dentistry (1963) which became a faculty in 1977
- Faculty of Educational Sciences in 1965
- Faculty of Communication in 1965
- The Çankırı Faculty of Forestry and the Health Education Faculty were opened to education in 1996.
- Faculty of Fine Arts in 2015.
- Faculty of Applied Sciences in 2015.
- The School of Political Science was established as Mekteb-i Mulkiye on February 12, 1859 in Istanbul.
- The School of Law founded 1925 to train judiciaries,
- The Institute of Technology for Agriculture founded 1933,
- The School of Language, History and Geography founded 1935,
- The School of Political Sciences (that trained public administrators under the name of Mekteb-i Mülkiye since 1859, and which was later on moved to Ankara) in 1936 upon the directive of Atatürk.
- The Schools of Medicine and of Science were established in the 1940s.
Research, application and education centers
There are 41 Research, Application and Education centers in Ankara University.
- The Turkish and Foreign Languages Research and Application Center, TÖMER, was established in 1984. By 2014, TÖMER has reached 11 branches all over Turkey and the central office in Ankara. Languages taught in TÖMER include Turkish, English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Modern Greek, Dutch, Bulgarian, Chinese, Ottoman language, Arabic, Polish and languages of the Central Asian Turkic Republics. This list of languages constantly changes.
- Ankara University Kreiken Observatory. Construction of the observatory started in 1959. In 1963 it was officially opened at the International Astronomy Conference. Along with scientific activities the observatory holds educational events for children, school children and students. When important astronomical events are taking place the observatory gives access to the observations to the public.
- Ankara University Women Issues Research and Application Center (KASAUM) organizes research and educational programmes which are directed at scrutinizing and discussing women roles and problems in society as well as gender issues. In order to support and develop the research "Women research" master programme was opened in 1996.
- Ankara University Small Entrepreneurship Research and Application Center (KIGAUM) runs research on problems connected to starting and maintaining small entrepreneurship activities. The center organizes educational programmes for academicians and entrepreneurs, sets up partnerships with local and international research and application centers, publishes articles and books and informes academics, business, government structures and wide public on the topics linked to entrepreneurship.
- Ankara University Distance Education Center provides the opportunity of getting college or higher education as well as taking part in courses distantly.
- Ankara University Center of Excellence of Superconductivity Research (CESUR) works on superconductivity research, focusing on superconducting wires, tapes and thin films which can be used in application of practical superconductivity technologies. Main attention is paid to research of MgB2, BSCCO and YBCO materials.
- Ankara University European Research Center (ATAUM) is an interdisciplinary research and training center founded to promote knowledge and understanding of the European Union (EU), its member states, and Turkey-EU relations. It was founded in 1987, the year in which Turkey applied to the European Community for membership.
- The Ankara University Center of Earthquakes Research objective is to hold independent research of seismic activity in Ankara and its surroundings as well as in Turkey as a whole.
- Ankara University Psychiatric Crisis Research and Application Center (PKUAM) was established on October 27, 1987. The center organizes research in the sphere of psychiatric crises and their prevention, suicide and its prevention. PKUAM is a reference agent of World Health Organization.
- Ankara University Brain Research Center (AU-BRC) was founded on May 21, 2009. It organizes research and scientific events connected to the studies of human brain. Scientists from such fields as linguistics, psychiatry, neurology, physiology and electrical engineering are working here together.
- Ankara University Latin American Research and Application Center (LAMER) was opened in 2009 and is engaged in research on economic, political, social and cultural issues taken place in Latin America. Researchers of the Center scrutinize Latin America's development and analyze the possibility of implication of Latin American countries' positive experience in Turkey. Other goals of LAMER are to educate specialists in Latin American problems; gather documents, books, etc. in the field of the research; hold conferences and educating events and establish and maintain relationships with consolates, museums, commercial organizations, etc. from and working with Latin American region.
- Ankara University Center of Research of Child's Culture (ÇOKAUM) was founded in 1994 by Prof.Dr. Bekir Onur. The center unites specialists from the spheres of psychology, sociology, anthropology, history, communication, health, etc. ÇOKAUM's objectives are to organize and hold researches in the field of child's culture; organize and participate in conferences and other academic events in Turkey and abroad; inform specialists and public about child's culture and results of researches in this area.
- Ankara University Center of Research of South Eastern Europe (GAMER) was founded in 2009. Geographically South Eastern Europe is a district placed between the Carpathians, the Black Sea, the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea and the Ionian Sea and Adriatic Sea. GAMER is organizing and holding research and educational projects on the topics connected with the cultural, historical, academic, economic, etc. aspects of the development of South Eastern Europe. The center provides consultancy on related matters and publishes a scientific journal.
- Ankara University Center of Research of Turkish Geography (TÜCAUM) started work in 1990. Its goals are to organize and hold research of Turkish geography; to search for, gather and keep data from researches of Turkish geography made in other countries; to support projects of Turkish researches on the related topics and to create and maintain an archive of different materials connected to Turkey and its geography.
- Ankara University Research and Application Center on Political Psychology (POLPAUM).
- Ankara University Center of Environmental Science.
- Ankara University Center of Old Age Research and Application Center (YASAM) organizes research and projects connected to problems of aging, and older people welfare. The center publishes and takes part in publications on the topics of social, economic, health and psychologic conditions of life of people of old age.
|Global – Overall|
- Abdüllatif Şener - Leader of political party -former deputy prime-minister - former minister of finance
- Hakim Muhammad Said - medical researcher, scholar, philanthropist, and a Governor of Sindh Province, Pakistan from 1993 until 1996
- Bülent Arınç - politician and former speaker of the parliament
- İsmail Hakkı Duru- theoretical physicist
- Deniz Baykal - politician and party leader
- Ataol Behramoglu - poet and university lecturer
- Osman Birsen - former CEO of Istanbul Stock Exchange
- Hamdi Ulukaya - owner, founder, Chairman, and CEO of Chobani
- Cengiz Çandar - journalist
- Hikmet Çetin - former speaker of the parliament
- Can Dündar - journalist
- Adnan Sezgin - former soccer player and current businessman
- Muammer Güler - Governor of Istanbul
- Aydın Güven Gürkan - Academician, socialist party leader
- Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu - Secretary-General of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference
- Erdal İnönü -academic and politician
- Mustafa Kalemli - physician and politician
- Ahmet Taner Kışlalı - intellectual and former government minister
- Hayri Kozakçıoğlu - Province governor and politician
- Ferit Melen - former prime minister
- Adnan Menderes - former prime minister
- Murathan Mungan - author
- Tahsin Özgüç - archaeologist
- Ahmet Necdet Sezer - President of Turkey (2000–2007)
- Cemal Süreya - poet
- Tülay Tuğcu - Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Turkey
- Mehmet Keçeciler- former minister, politician
- Murat Karayalçın - former Minister for Foreign Affairs; former Deputy Prime Minister and former Mayor of Ankara
- Sedat Laçiner - IR lecturer, Rector, columnist and Director of International Strategic Research Organization (USAK)
- Hasan Celal Güzel - former Minister of National Education
- Mehmet Hakkı Suçin - Arabist
- Mehmet Culum - Novelist
- Selahattin Demirtaş - Politician
- Deniz Çakır - Actor
- İlber Ortaylı - Historian
- Metin Feyzioğlu - Lawyer
- Halil İnalcık - Historian
- Güneri Cıvaoğlu- Lawyer-Journalist-Television presenter 
- İhsan Doğramacı - Doctor
- Nihat Hatipoğlu- Religion Specialist
- Ahmet Taner Kışlalı - Politician
- Mesut Yılmaz - Politician
- Engin Akyürek - Cinema player
- Mehmet Görmez-Professor
- Melih Gökçek-Politician
- Mehmet Şimşek-Politician
- Beşir Atalay-Politician
- Abdullah Öcalan (born 1946), Kurdistan Workers' Party leader and political thinker
- Doğu Perinçek-Politician
- Muhsin Yazıcıoğlu-Politician
- Mehmet Haberal-Doctor-Başkent University Rector
- Çağrı Erhan-Kemerburgaz University Rector
- Cüneyt Özdemir-Journalist
- Tuluhan Tekelioğlu, journalist, writer, documentary film producer
- Mithat Sancar-Politician
- tr:Özgür Doğan Cinema Film Director
- Metin Altıok-Poet
- Ahmed Arif-Poet
- Ayşenur İslam-Politician
- Selma Aliye Kavaf-Politician
- tr:Doğu Ergil-Author
- tr:Murat Karahüseyinoğlu-Cinema Director
- Sezai Karakoç-Author-Poet
- Suat Kılıç-Politician
- tr:Canan Tan-Author
- Ece Temelkuran-Author
- tr:Saim Orha-TV programme maker
- tr:Mirgün Cabas-Spiker
- tr:Mustafa Bumin-Lawyer
- Mehmet Bekaroğlu-Doctor-Politician
- Çetin Altan-Writer
- Sırrı Süreyya Önder-Politician
- Haluk Koç-Politician
- Muammer Güler-Politician
- tr:Nejat Arseven-Politician
- Kartal Tibet-Senarist
- Zuhal Olcay-Singer
- Mehmet Mehdi Eker-Politician
- Sema Ramazanoğlu-Politician
- Naci Bostancı-Politician
- Sadullah Ergin-Politician
- Emine Ülker Tarhan-Politician
- Mustafa Ceceli-Singer
- Abdülkadir Aksu-Politician
- Mustafa Elitaş-Politician
- tr:Veysel Tiryaki-Mayor of Altındağ Municipality
- tr:İclal Aydın-Author
- Altan Erkekli-Theatre Player
- Adalet Ağaoğlu-Author
- Bülent Ecevit-Politician
- Gazi Yaşargil-Doctor
- Mustafa Kamalak-Saadet Party Leader
- Merve Kavakçı
- List of universities in Ankara
- List of universities in Turkey
- Ankara University, Law School
- Faculty of Political Science, Ankara University
- Ankara University Observatory
- "Ankara University Catalog" (PDF). Ankara University.
- "Student Hand Book" (PDF). Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- Hansen, Suzy (2019-07-24). "'The Era of People Like You Is Over': How Turkey Purged Its Intellectuals". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- "Turkey remembers assassinated journo Ugur Mumcu". www.aa.com.tr. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- Agency, Anadolu (2019-12-02). "Notes of 'Magic Flute' to echo in Ankara and Tarsus". Daily Sabah. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- "African nightingale spends lifetime migrating to Turkey". Hürriyet Daily News. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- "'COVID-19 pandemic may ease in two months if measures implemented' - Turkey News". Hürriyet Daily News. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- sabah, daily (2019-04-20). "Insect factory in Ankara aims to reduce Turkey's pesticide imports". Daily Sabah. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- KILIÇ, ÖZGENUR SEVİNÇ-TUĞÇE (2019-02-20). "Young people eye student-friendly projects from mayoral candidates". Daily Sabah. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- Ward, Lyn (2019-10-26). "Dental Operation Center - "Smile with your DOC"". Fethiye Times. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- SCF (2018-07-18). "Turkish journalist Böken transferred to prison 250 kilometers away from family". Stockholm Center for Freedom. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- "Applied Science".
- (in Turkish)List of Research, Application and Education centers of Ankara University
- (in Turkish)Official site of TÖMER
- "Kreiken Observatory". Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- (in Turkish)Official site of KASAUM
- (in Turkish)Official site of KIGAUM
- "Ankara Üniversitesi - Uzaktan Eğitim Merkezi". Archived from the original on 2014-04-19. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Center of Excellence for Superconductivity Research". Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Official site of Ankara University European Research Center Archived April 11, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- (in Turkish)Official site of ADAUM Archived May 14, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- (in Turkish)Ankara University Psychiatric Crisis Research and Application Center's Official Site Archived 2014-05-21 at the Wayback Machine
- "Brain Research Center". Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- (in Turkish)Official site of Ankara University LAMER
- (in Turkish)Official site of Ankara University Center of Research of Child's Culture
- (in Turkish)Ankara University Center of Research of South Eastern Europe's Official Site Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine
- (in Turkish)Ankara University Center of Research of Turkish Geography. Official site.
- (in Turkish)Ankara University Research and Application Center on Political Psychology. Official Site.
- "Çevre Sorunları Araştırma ve Uygulama Merkezi - Ankara Üniversitesi Çevre Sorunları Araştırma ve Uygulama Merkezi". Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- (in Turkish)Ankara University Center of Old Age Research and Application Center. Official Site.
- "Şeffaf Oda".
- Öcalan, Abdullah (2015). Capitalism: The Age of Unmasked Gods and Naked Kings. New Compass. p. 115.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ankara University.|