|Conservation status||FAO (2007): not listed:125|
|Country of origin||United States of America|
|Horn status||horned, large thick horns|
The Ankole-Watusi derives from cattle of Ankole type imported to Germany as zoo specimens in the early twentieth century. From Germany, these spread to other European zoos. Some were imported to the United States, and in 1960 a herd was started in New York State by cross-breeding some of them with an unrelated Canadian bull.:110 A breed society, the Ankole Watusi International Registry, was set up in 1983,:110 and in 1989 a breed standard was drawn up. In 2016 the total number for the breed was thought to be approximately 1500 head, some 80% of them in the United States.:110
The Ankole-Watusi may be of any color, but is usually red. The horns are unusually large, with a wide spread:110 and the largest circumference found in any cattle breed. Guinness World Records lists a bull named CT Woodie with a horn circumference of 103.5 cm (40.7 in) and a steer named Lurch, with horns measuring 95.25 cm (37.50 in), as record-holders.
- Barbara Rischkowsky, D. Pilling (eds.) (2007). List of breeds documented in the Global Databank for Animal Genetic Resources, annex to The State of the World's Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ISBN 9789251057629. Accessed June 2017.
- Valerie Porter, Lawrence Alderson, Stephen J.G. Hall, D. Phillip Sponenberg (2016). Mason's World Encyclopedia of Livestock Breeds and Breeding (sixth edition). Wallingford: CABI. ISBN 9781780647944.
- Breed data sheet: Ankole-Watusi/United States of America. Domestic Animal Diversity Information System of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Accessed June 2017.
- Ankole-Watusi Cattle. Ankole Watusi International Registry. Accessed June 2017.
- "Largest horn circumference – bull". Guinness World Records. Retrieved February 14, 2012.
- "Largest horn circumference – steer". Guinness World Records. Retrieved February 14, 2012.
Media related to Ankole-Watusi at Wikimedia Commons