Ankole Western University
|Motto||Education for Transformation|
|Chancellor||Bishop Yonna Katoneene|
The university is located in the town of Kabwohe, in Sheema District, Western Uganda. This location lies approximately 300 kilometres (190 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The approximate coordinates of the university are:0°34'28.0"S, 30°22'44.0"E (Latitude:-0.574444; Longitude:30.378889).
The resolution by the Anglican mission to start a tertiary institution of learning in Western Ankole was made in 2002. It was further resolved that the institution be situated at Kabwohe Hill. Ultimately, the institution would be called Ankole Western University. In order to build up to university status, the institution is named Ankole Western Institute of Science and Technology, (AWIST).
In December 2005, the Institute admitted the first batch of students to study for the Diploma in Education (Primary Education). In January 2006 another batch of students were enrolled to study for the Diploma in Agribusiness.
In November 2007, AWIST applied for a license as a tertiary college of learning. In July 2008, the license was granted and the Institute was given authority to award Certificates and Diplomas in the fields of instruction where it offered courses.
As of October 2009, Ankole Western University has over three hundred students enrolled in various fields of study, including: education, business administration, agribusiness, animal health, animal production, guidance & counseling, developmental studies, social work and social administration.
The academic programs offered at Ankole Western University include the following:
- Diploma courses
- Diploma in Primary Education
- Diploma in Animal Health & Production
- Diploma in Agribusiness
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in Guidance and Counseling
- Diploma in Development Studies
- Diploma in Social Work and Social Administration
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Computer Science
- Diploma in Secretarial studies
- Certificate course
- Certificate in Agribusiness
- Certificate in Business Administration
- Certificate in Nursery Education
- Certificate in Computer Science
- Certifate in Computer Applications
As of October 2009, the courses offered at Ankole Western University lead to the award of Certificates and Diplomas.
Diploma in arts in Mass communication.
- Amanyisa, Zadock (31 January 2015). "Museveni Orders Probe Into Ankole University Fights". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Amanyisa, Zadock (11 June 2014). "West Ankole Diocese University Gets New Charter". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Kabwohe With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Google, . "Location of Ankole Western University Campus At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Jaramogi, Patrick (October 2009). "Museveni To Grace Ankole Western University Fundraising Drive". New Vision Mobile (Kampala). Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Ankole Western University Graduates the first Diploma Class[permanent dead link]
- Ankole Western University Homepage
- Ankole Western University Starts Construction of Shs:3 Billion Science Building
- West Ankole Diocese At A Crossroads Over Location of University Project