|Born||August 25, 1980|
Indian School of Business (MBA)|
Michigan State University (MS, Physics)
Hindu College (BS, Physics)
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, Motivational Speaker, Angel Investor|
|Title||Co-founder and CEO of Nearbuy|
|Spouse(s)||Ruchi Budhiraja Warikoo|
Ankur completed his schooling from Don Bosco School, New Delhi, post which he joined Hindu College (BSc, Physics). He thereafter went for his Ph.D. in Physics from Michigan State University (MS, Astrophysics), which he dropped out from after completing his MS. Post coming back from the US, he pursued his MBA in Finance from The Indian School of Business which was only 5 years old at that time, in the year 2005 – 2006
Ankur is married to Ruchi Budhiraja Warikoo and has 2 kids with her, Vidur Warikoo and Uzma Warikoo.
He is currently the Co-founder and CEO of nearbuy.com (formerly known as Groupon) and Little App - which together hold 88% market share in the Local Retail eCommerce segment in the country. Ankur started Nearbuy, which was founded as SoSasta, and it was acquired by NASDAQ-listed Groupon Inc. in 2011. The company was later renamed as Groupon India, in 2013.In 2015, Sequoia Capital India and the current chief executive officer (CEO) Ankur Warikoo bought a majority stake from the US-based parent of the firm and named it Nearbuy. PayTm in 2018 acquired Nearbuy.
Warikoo started the Groupon India business in April 2011, which is when Groupon entered India through an acquisition. Between 2013-2015 Warikoo managed the India, Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines markets for Groupon. In August 2015, Groupon India went through a management buyout, where the India management team (led by Ankur) bought out the majority shareholding of Groupon, partnering with Sequoia Capital.
in Dec 2017, nearbuy.com and Little App merged, The merged entity is led by Warikoo, along with two other co-founders from nearbuy.com - Snehesh Mitra (Cofounder and CTO) and Ravi Shankar (Cofounder and COO). PayTm made a strategic investment to acquire the majority of the merged entity.
Prior to Groupon, Warikoo was an Entrepreneur-in-Residence for Rocket Internet Gmbh. Warikoo was the Managing Director of the Rocket Internet India Founding Team and set the foundation for Jabong.com, before moving to help set up Groupon India.
Previously Ankur was the Co-Founder of Accentium Web, which owns and operates several websites in the Indian Consumer Space, namely SecondShaadi (India's largest matrimonial service for remarriages), Gaadi.com (India's second largest Car Portal - which got later sold to Naspers Group in 2011 and was acquired by CarDekho.com in 2015), amongst others. Ankur joined Accentium, which was founded by Vivek Pahwa (CEO) and exited the venture in September 2010.
Post ISB, Ankur joined A.T. Kearney in their consulting practice in India. While at Kearney, Warikoo worked in the Real Estate and Media & Entertainment Sector - in Dubai, New York and India. Accentium was founded in 2007, while he was still at Kearney (and continued to work until 2009 and assist Accentium in a part-time capacity). He moved full-time to Accentium in May 2009.
Honors and awards
- Top 100 Customer Experience Professionals in India by PaulWriter
- 30 Entrepreneurs of the year 2017 by SiliconReview
- FORTUNE India 40 Under 40 List Fortune Magazine (India) March 2014
- FORTUNE India 40 Under 40 List Fortune Magazine (India) March 2013
- Top Executives Below 40 Years (2014) - Business Today Magazine
- India's Most Promising Entrepreneur Award (2013) Enterprise Asia March 2014
- ISB Young Leader Award 2005-06 Indian School of Business.
- Malik, Yuvraj (2017-12-07). "Paytm acquires Nearbuy and Little, to merge both". livemint.com/. Retrieved 2018-04-26.
- Writer, Paul (2017-08-17). "FBC 2017: Paul Writer CX100 List In Association with Oracle Let's Talk CX". Paul Writer. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "30 Entrepreneurs of the Year 2017". thesiliconreview.com. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "My biggest win so far (and perhaps ever)…". 19 March 2014.
- "Hottest Young executive: Groupon Ankur Warikoo on his breakthrough moment - Business Today". Intoday.in. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
- "Past Winners - APEA India". Enterpriseasia.org. Archived from the original on 2010-01-30. Retrieved 2015-05-15.