|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York|
Assumed office |
October 21, 2015
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Sandra L. Townes|
1959 (age 58–59)|
Royal Oak, Michigan, U.S.
|Residence||Brooklyn, New York|
University of Michigan (B.A.)|
Ohio State University (J.D.)
Ann Marie Donnelly (born 1959) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Early life and education
Career as a prosecutor
From 1984 to 2009, she was a prosecutor in the New York County District Attorney's Office. From 1997 to 2005, she served as Senior Trial Counsel and from 2005 to 2009, she served as Chief of the Family Violence and Child Abuse Bureau. As an assistant district attorney, Donnelly successfully prosecuted former Tyco International CEO L. Dennis Kozlowski for securities fraud and grand larceny, among other crimes. Donnelly was also part of the prosecution team in the murder trial of Sante Kimes and her son Kenneth Kimes Jr.
From 2009 to 2015, she served as a judge of the New York Court of Claims. Concurrently, she served at various points on the New York Supreme Court (the state trial court) in Bronx County, Kings County (Brooklyn), and New York County (Manhattan), as well as on a Special Term for Election Matters. As a state court judge, Donnelly presided over the trial of Adam Tang, a day trader convicted of reckless endangerment and reckless driving for his illegal high-speed street racing around Manhattan (circling the island in 24 minutes) and posting videos of the stunt on YouTube. After Tang fled the country during his trial, Donnelly issued an warrant for his arrest and sentenced him in absentia to a year in jail.
Federal judicial service
On November 20, 2014, President Barack Obama nominated Donnelly to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, to the seat vacated by Judge Sandra L. Townes, who took senior status on May 1, 2015. Senator Charles Schumer recommended Donnelly for the position. On December 16, 2014, her nomination was returned to the President due to the sine die adjournment of the 113th Congress. On January 7, 2015, President Obama renominated her to the same position. She received a hearing before the United States Senate Judiciary Committee on May 6, 2015. On June 4, 2015 her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On October 20, 2015 the Senate voted 95-2 to confirm Donnelly. She received her judicial commission on October 21, 2015. An investiture ceremony was held on January 22, 2016.
On January 28, 2017, Donnelly issued an emergency stay blocking part of an executive order issued by President Donald Trump from going into effect. The ruling enjoined the federal government from deporting individuals who had arrived in the country with valid visas or refugee status. Several minutes after Donnelly entered her order, another judge, Leonie M. Brinkema of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, issued a temporary restraining order blocking the Trump administration from preventing the return of lawful permanent residents at Dulles International Airport.
- President Obama Nominates Three to Serve on the United States District Courts, White House Office of the Press Secretary (November 20, 2014).
- "Donnelly, Ann Marie - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- To Convict Kozlowski, Jury Must Find Intent, Judge Says, Bloomberg News (March 20, 2004).
- Andrew Ross Sorkin, Prosecutors in Tyco Case Press Ex-Chief on Loans, New York Times (April 29, 2005).
- Kevin McCoy, Kozlowski's testimony may have cost him dearly, USA Today (July 17, 2005).
- David Rohde & Julian E. Barnes, Without a Body, Murder Case of Widow Relies on Circumstantial Evidence, New York Times (May 16, 2000).
- Julian E. Barnes, Arguments End in Murder Trial of Mother and Son, New York Times (May 13, 2000).
- James C. McKinley Jr., Manhattan Speeder Says He Has Fled to Canada, New York Times (November 8, 2014)
- Shayna Jacobs, Canadian daredevil who sped around Manhattan in 24 minutes misses sentencing, gets year in jail, New York Daily News (December 8, 2014).
- Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate, White House Office of the Press Secretary (November 20, 2014).
- Rob Abruzzese, Ann Donnelly sworn in as federal judge for the Eastern District, Brooklyn Daily Eagle (January 25, 2016).
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 7 January 2015.
- "United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". www.judiciary.senate.gov.
- "Results of Executive Business Meeting – June 4, 2015" (PDF).
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 114th Congress - 1st Session". www.senate.gov.
- McGurty, Frank. "Judge allows travelers who landed with visas to stay in country". Reuters. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Michael D. Shear, Nicholas Kulish & Alan Feuer, Judge Blocks Trump Order on Refugees Amid Chaos and Outcry Worldwide, New York Times (January 28, 2017).
- Ann Donnelly at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Ann M. Donnelly at Ballotpedia
Sandra L. Townes
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York