Ann Lauterbach (born 1942) is an American poet, essayist, and professor. Her most recent poetry collection is Under the Sign (Penguin Books, 2013). Her honors include fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation, the Ingram Merrill Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and the New York State Foundation for the Arts. Her poems have been published in literary journals and magazines including Conjunctions, and in anthologies including American Hybrid: A Norton Anthology of New Poetry (W.W. Norton, 2009) and American Women Poets in the 21st Century: Where Lyric Meets Language (Wesleyan University Press, 2002).
Lauterbach was born and raised in New York City, and earned her B.A. from the University of Wisconsin. She lived in London for eight years, working in publishing and for art institutions. On her return to the U.S., she worked in art galleries in New York before she began teaching. She has taught at Brooklyn College, Columbia University, the Iowa Writers Workshop, Princeton University, and at the City College of New York and Graduate Center of CUNY. Since 1991 she has taught at Bard College, and is currently a David and Ruth Schwab Professor of Languages and Literature there, where she teaches and co-directs the Writing Division of the M.F.A. program, and lives in Germantown, New York.
Full-Length Poetry Collections
- Under the Sign (Penguin Books, 2013)
- Or to Begin Again (Penguin Books, 2009)
- Hum (Penguin Books, 2005)
- If in Time: Selected Poems 1975-2000 (Penguin Books, 2001)
- On a Stair (Penguin Books, 1997)
- And for Example (Penguin Books, 1994)
- Clamor (Viking, 1991)
- Before Recollection (Princeton University Press, 1987)
- Many Times, but Then (University of Texas Press, 1979)
- The Night Sky: Writings on the Poetics of Experience (Viking, 2005)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- The National Book Foundation > 2009 National Book Award Finalist > Ann Lauterbach
- New York Foundation for the Arts > Artists Fellowship 1998 Poetry
- Academy of American Poets > Ann Lauterbach Biography
- "Academy of American Poets > Ann Lauterbach". Retrieved 2006-12-05.
- on YouTube
- Biography: The Poetry Foundation > Ann Lauterbach
- Poem: Conjunctions > 17, Fall 1991 > Tangled Reliquary by Ann Lauterbach
- Review: Rain Taxi > Winter 2009/2010 > A Review by Michael D. Snediker of Or to Begin Again by Ann Lauterbach
- Interview: Mappemunde > April 17, 2004 > An Interview with Ann Lauterbach by Tim Peterson
- Guide to the Ann Lauterbach Papers