Ann Marie Lipinski
Ann Marie Lipinski (born January 1956) is a journalist and the curator of the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard. She is the former editor of the Chicago Tribune and Vice President for Civic Engagement at the University of Chicago. She also currently sits on the advisory board of the Chicago News Cooperative.
Early life and education
Lipinski attended University of Michigan and worked on the school's newspaper, the Michigan Daily. In the summer of 1977, between her junior and senior years, Lipinski interned at the Miami Herald, and then co-edited the Michigan Daily her senior year. Lipinski left University of Michigan several credits short of her degree but was awarded a bachelor's degree in 1994 after the university deemed her internships worthy of the needed credits.
After her internship at the Tribune, Lipinski was hired as a full-time reporter in 1978. She worked as a feature writer before switching to the metro staff in February 1985.
In 1987, Lipinski was part of a reporting team that investigated the Chicago City Council in a weeklong series that was published in late 1987, titled "City Council: The Spoils of Power." The team won the Pulitzer Prize for Local Reporting for its work.
Lipinski was promoted to become the Tribune's metro editor in 1991 and its managing editor in 1995.
On July 14, 2008, Lipinski resigned as the paper's editor, saying she was no longer "a good fit" for the job.
After the Tribune
She was chair of the board of the University of Chicago Charter School and served on the Pulitzer Prize board, acting as co-chair in her final year, as well as the boards of the Chicago Children's Choir and the Court Theatre. She currently serves on the Alumni Board of the University of Michigan.
-  Archived April 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Rhodes, Steve (2008-07-14). "Ann Marie’s World | Chicago magazine | Chicago Magazine April 2001". Chicagomag.com. Retrieved 2015-04-07.
- Miner, Michael (2015-04-02). "Ann Marie Lipinski resigns | Bleader". Chicagoreader.com. Retrieved 2015-04-07.
- "Ann Marie Lipinski appointed Vice President for Civic Engagement: Former Chicago Tribune editor to help forge a new kind of partnership between University and city". September 8, 2008.
- Miner, Michael (2015-04-02). ""Chicago News Cooperative" Will Serve New York Times and Local Media | Bleader". Chicagoreader.com. Retrieved 2015-04-07.