|Ann J. Wolpert|
|Born||October 1, 1943|
|Died||October 2, 2013 (aged 70)|
|Alma mater||Simmons College, Boston|
|Employer||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Title||Director of libraries|
Ann J. Wolpert (October 1, 1943 – October 2, 2013) was a pioneer in digital libraries. As director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries from 1996 to 2013, she was instrumental in a variety of projects, including leading an initiative between MIT and Hewlett Packard to develop the DSpace digital repository system, and supporting MIT OpenCourseWare, one of the earliest large-scale projects to provide open access to university course materials. She also championed MIT's adoption of an open access mandate in 2009, the first of its kind in the United States.
She advised and contributed to many core library organizations as well as initiatives that sought to transform the way research institutions and their libraries collaborate to solve large problems. Over her career, she served on the boards of directors of the Boston Library Consortium, the National Academies’ Board of Research Data and Information (BRDI), DuraSpace, and the Digital Preservation Network (DPN); on the steering committee of the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI); as the council chair of the International Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR); and served in significant advisory roles in many other organizations.
She married Samuel A. Otis Jr.
Awards and recognition
Wolpert was named to part of the National Network for Women Leaders in Higher Education by the American Council of Education.
- Ann J. Wolpert, M.L.S. (February 28, 2013). "For the Sake of Inquiry and Knowledge — The Inevitability of Open Access". N. Engl. J. Med. 368 (9): 785–787. doi:10.1056/NEJMp1211410. PMID 23445088.
- Wolpert, Ann J. (7 November 2002). "The future of electronic data". Nature. 420 (6911): 17–18. Bibcode:2002Natur.420...17W. doi:10.1038/420017a.
- Nate Nickerson (October 2, 2013). "Ann Wolpert, director of libraries, has died at 70". MIT News.
- "In Memory of Ann Wolpert". Americal Research Libraries. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "ICPSR Saddened by Passing of Former Council Chair Ann Wolpert". ICPSR. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Who's Who in America 2014. Marquis Who's Who. ISBN 978-0-8379-7043-1.
- "Ann Wolpert appointed director of Libraries". MIT News. October 18, 1995.
- Angela Liao (October 24, 1995). "Wolpert Named Libraries Director". The Tech.
- Jennifer Howard (October 2, 2013). "QuickWire: Ann Wolpert, Director of MIT Libraries, Dies". Chronicle of Higher Education.
|This article about a person involved with library and information science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|