15 February 1972 |
Salford, Lancashire, England
Anna-Jane Casey (born 15 February 1972) is an English singer, dancer and actress best known for her work in musical theatre.
Casey trained at Lupino Dance School in Bury. She made her West End debut at age 16 as Rumpleteazer in Cats at New London Theatre. After two years with Cats she then went on to Children of Eden at the Prince Edward Theatre.
In 1993 Casey performed in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the London Palladium in the role of Reuben's Wife. In 1993 she played Barbara-Lou and Rizzo (replacement) in Grease at Dominion Theatre. She spent two years in Starlight Express at the Apollo Victoria Theatre playing the roles of Buffy, Dinah and Pearl. In 1998 Casey fulfilled a lifelong ambition by playing Anita in West Side Story, both at the Prince Edward Theatre and on the national tour. It was during this tour she met her husband, Graham MacDuff. Casey made her first appearance in Chicago as Velma Kelly in 1998, a role she has reprised on numerous occasions.
In 2003 Casey landed the role of Frankie Frayne in the London revival of On Your Toes at the Southbank Centre. In 2005 she won the TMA (Theatrical Management Association) Award for Best Performance in a Musical playing Mabel in Mack & Mabel at the Watermill Theatre. She originated the role of Dot in the London revival of Sunday in the Park with George at the Menier Chocolate Factory in 2005 and then went on to play Maggie in Hobson's Choice from 17 May to 8 July 2006 at Watermill Theatre before giving birth to her daughter. During 2009 she appeared in Forbidden Broadway at the Menier Chocolate Factory and spent the Christmas period in the title role of Aladdin at Hackney Empire. Casey returned to Chicago from February until 24 April 2010 playing Velma Kelly alongside Ruthie Henshall.
Casey appeared in the Open Air Theatre, Regent's Park production of The Comedy of Errors as the Courtesan, in the summer of 2010. She appeared in the BBC Prom celebrating the music of Rodgers & Hammerstein. The concert was broadcast on the BBC on Saturday 28 August 2010.
Casey appeared as 'The Lady of the Lake' in 'Spamalot', at the Playhouse Theatre in London.
From 13 May 2013 Casey is set to play Mrs Wilkinson in 'Billy Elliot the Musical' at the Victoria Palace Theatre in London.
- "Weekend Birthdays", The Guardian, 15 February 2014: 49
- "World's a stage for Anna and Graham" thisislancashire.co.uk, 5 August 1998, retrieved 5 April 2010
- Paddock, Terri."20 Questions With...Anna-Jane Casey" whatsonstage.com, 9 December 2002
- "'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' Cast List, May 1993" reallyuseful.com, retrieved 5 April 2010
- "'Grease' London Revival Cast (1993)" broadwayworld.com, retrieved 5 April 2010
- "Archive page for 'West Side Story'" albemarle-london.com, retrieved 5 April 2010
- Paddock, Terri."Review:'On Your Toes'" whatsonstage.com, 8 August 2003
- "2005 Nominees & Winners" tmauk.org, retrieved 5 April 2010
- Paddock, Terri.Soul Follows Jerry with Mack & Mabel at Watermill whatsonstage.com, 8 April 2005
- Paddock, Terri.Extensions: Sunday in the Park & Emperor Jones whatsonstage.com, 4 January 2006
- "Watermill – Hobson's Choice" newburytheatre.co.uk, retrieved 5 April 2010
- Bosanquet, Theo."Review:'Forbidden Broadway'" whatsonstage.com, 3 July 2009
- Coveney, Michael "Review: Alladin" www.whatsonstage.com, 4 December 2009
- Staff.Ruthie Henshall Extends Stay in London's Chicago Through April broadway.com, 19 February 2010
- Paddock, Terri.Waddingham & Russell Go into Woods, More Cast whatsonstage.com, 31 March 2010