Anna Akhmatova Literary and Memorial Museum
|Location||St Petersburg, Russia,wing of Fountain House at 34 Fontanka River Embankment.|
The Anna Akhmatova Literary and Memorial Museum is a literary museum in St Petersburg, Russia, dedicated to the poet Anna Akhmatova (1889–1966). It opened in 1989 on the centennial of Akhmatova's birth.
The museum is located in a wing of Fountain House at 34 Fontanka River Embankment. Fountain House was built in the 18th century as a palace for the noble Sheremetev family. Russian emperors highly valued diplomatic and military achievements of several male members of family.
From 1935 to 1941, it housed the Museum of Popular Science, which closed immediately upon the German invasion. Anna Akhmatova lived in the northern garden wing of the Fountain House in 1918–1920, and lived in the southern wing from the mid-1920s until February 1952.
Then the building as a whole was given over to semi-classified Arctic and Antarctic Exploration Research Institute, and only in the latter part of the twentieth century, after relocation of the institute within the city to a specially designed facility, it became possible to start turning the palace into a museum or museums.
Now the main building is occupied by Saint Petersburg Museum of Music (one of the largest branches of St.Petersburg State Museum of Theatre and Music[permanent dead link]), and the wing is dedicated to the museum of the poet.
The poet's museum
The Akhmatova Museum was opened in 1989 as a branch of the Dostoevsky Literary and Memorial Museum. Later it was separated out as an independent museum. The museum's collection consisted in 2009 of about 50,000 items. This includes, among other things, autographed editions of Akhmatova's works, photographs, and manuscripts by Akhmatova and her contemporaries.
Other museums of Akhmatova
In Saint Petersburg, there is museum dedicated to the poet, her circle and her times. It is called "Anna Akhmatova. The Silver Age" and is located on the ground floor of an ordinary apartment building in the vicinity of Avtovo.
- Anna Akhmatova Literary and Memorial Museum, St Petersburg Encyclopedia.
- The Anna Akhmatova Museum at The Fountain House Archived August 8, 2010, at the Wayback Machine., Russian Museums.info Archived September 21, 2010, at the Wayback Machine..
- The Anna Akhmatova Museum at The Fountain House Archived March 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine., St Petersburg City information.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-03-16. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- Олена О'Лір. Анна Ахматова — в українському інтер'єрі // День. — 2 серпня 2012 р.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fountain House.|
- Anna Akhmatova Museum website (in Russian)
- The Anna Akhmatova Museum at The Fountain House (in English)