|Born||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Robert Greene |
Anna Biller is an independent American filmmaker who was born and raised in Los Angeles. She is known for her visual style, and for her use of period genres and satire. Her background is mainly in art (her father is a visual artist, and she has a B.A. in art from U.C.L.A. and an MFA in art and film from The California Institute of the Arts). Her 2007 feature film Viva premiered at the International Film Festival Rotterdam, and won the Best of Fest Award at the Boston Underground Film Festival. The film was also entered into the main competition at the 29th Moscow International Film Festival.
Reason magazine called Viva an "uncannily precise rendition of the look, sound, mood, and arch dialogue" of seventies sexploitation films, with "high-key, pseudo-Technicolor lighting and spare, colorful set design."
Her latest film, The Love Witch, is a twist on classic serial killer films, featuring a female killer who kills through calculated sexuality, causing her male victims to fall too much in love. Richard Brody of The New Yorker said of The Love Witch, "Biller puts genre to the test of do-it-yourself artistry, and puts feminist ideology itself to the test of style. The film pulsates with furious creative energy throughout, sparking excitement and giddy amazement that it even exists." In May 2016, The Love Witch was acquired for distribution by Oscilloscope Laboratories.
- 1994 Three Examples of Myself as Queen
- 1998 Fairy Ballet
- 2001 The Hypnotist
- 2001 A Visit from the Incubus
- 2007 Viva
- 2016 The Love Witch
- Kurutz, Steven (7 November 2012). "Robert Greene on Renovating Like a Master" – via NYTimes.com.
- "L.A.-Bred Filmmaker Anna Biller Made a Witchy Retro Masterpiece That Straight Guys Will Misread".
- "Les Biller: Rosamund Felson Gallery".
- "About Anna Biller".
- "29th Moscow International Film Festival (2007)". MIFF. Archived from the original on 2013-04-21. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- ""The Love Witch" (2016): Serial Killing Meets Sexual Politics in Occult Thriller".
- Brody, Richard. "The State of Independent Film in 2016". The New Yorker.
- "Oscilloscope Laboratories Picks Up Anna Biller's Spellbinding 'The Love Witch' – Exclusive". Indiewire.
- Staff, Variety. "Review: 'Viva'". Variety. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- "Viva". AV Club. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- Dargis, Manohla (2008-05-02). "Swinging Suburbia and the Sensual City". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- "Viva (review)". Entertainment Weekly's EW.com. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- "Review: Anna Biller's THE LOVE WITCH - Shock Till You Drop". Shock Till You Drop. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- Anna Biller's official website
- Anna Biller at the Internet Movie Database
- Los Angeles Times Interview
- Bright Lights Film Journal Profile and Interview
- Reason magazine critique
|This biographical article related to cinema of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|