|Alma mater||University of Toronto|
|Known for||Computational geometry, graph theory|
|Awards||ACM Distinguished Member, 2009|
At Waterloo, Lubiw's students have included both Erik Demaine and his father Martin Demaine, with whom she published the first proof of the fold-and-cut theorem in mathematical origami. In graph drawing, Hutton and Lubiw found a polynomial time algorithm for upward planar drawing of graphs with a single source vertex. Other contributions of Lubiw include proving the NP-completeness of finding permutation patterns, and of finding derangements in permutation groups.
As well her academic work, Lubiw is an amateur violinist, and chairs the volunteer council in charge of the University of Waterloo orchestra. She is married to Jeffrey Shallit, also a computer scientist.
- Lubiw, Anna (1981), "Some NP-complete problems similar to graph isomorphism", SIAM Journal on Computing, 10 (1): 11–21, doi:10.1137/0210002, MR 0605600.
- Hutton, Michael D.; Lubiw, Anna (1996), "Upward planar drawing of single-source acyclic digraphs", SIAM Journal on Computing, 25 (2): 291–311, doi:10.1137/S0097539792235906, MR 1379303, S2CID 207078756. First presented at the 2nd ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, 1991.
- Bose, Prosenjit; Buss, Jonathan F.; Lubiw, Anna (1998), "Pattern matching for permutations", Information Processing Letters, 65 (5): 277–283, doi:10.1016/S0020-0190(97)00209-3, MR 1620935. First presented at WADS 1993.
- Demaine, Erik D.; Demaine, Martin L.; Lubiw, Anna (1999), "Folding and one straight cut suffice", Proceedings of the Tenth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA '99), pp. 891–892.
- Faculty profile Archived 2013-07-22 at the Wayback Machine, University of Waterloo, retrieved 2013-10-16.
- Anna Lubiw at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Maths star from outside the fold", Times Higher Education, March 29, 2002.
- Demaine, Demaine & Lubiw (1999); O'Rourke, Joseph (2013), How to Fold It, Cambridge University Press, p. 144, ISBN 9781139498548.
- Hutton & Lubiw (1996); Di Battista, Giuseppe; Eades, Peter; Tamassia, Roberto; Tollis, Ioannis G. (1998), "Optimal Upward Planarity Testing of Single-Source Digraphs", Graph Drawing: Algorithms for the Visualization of Graphs, Prentice Hall, pp. 195–200, ISBN 978-0-13-301615-4.
- Bose, Buss & Lubiw (1998); Brignall, Robert (2010), "A survey of simple permutations", in Linton, Steve; Ruškuc, Nik; Vatter, Vincent (eds.), Permutation Patterns, London Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series, vol. 376, Cambridge University Press, pp. 41–66, ISBN 9781139488846, MR 2732823. See in particular pp. 61–62.
- Lubiw (1981); Babai, László (1995), "Automorphism groups, isomorphism, reconstruction", Handbook of combinatorics, Vol. 1, 2 (PDF), Amsterdam: Elsevier, pp. 1447–1540, MR 1373683,
A surprising result of Anna Lubiw asserts that the following problem is NP-complete: Does a given permutation group have a fixed-point-free element?.
- ACM Distinguished member page: http://awards.acm.org/award_winners/lubiw_2950848.cfm
- "Love of music guides fledgling ensemble", Kitchener Record, November 29, 2005.
- About the orchestra Archived 2013-06-05 at the Wayback Machine, Univ. of Waterloo, retrieved 2013-10-16.