Anna Murdoch Mann
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Anna Murdoch Mann|
Murdoch Mann in 1981
|Born||Anna Maria Torv|
30 June 1944
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
|Occupation||journalist and novelist|
|Net worth||US$1.7 billion (1999)|
(m. 1967; div. 1999)
William Mann (m. 1999)
|Relatives||Anna Torv (niece)|
Anna Torv was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1944 to Jacob Tõrv, an Estonian-born merchant seaman, and Sylvia Braida, a Scottish drycleaner. Her parents had a drycleaning business in Glasgow, until they emigrated to Australia. When they opened a picnic park outside Sydney and it went bankrupt, her mother left the family household. She has two brothers and one sister. Raised Catholic, she attended a Sisters of Mercy convent school.
She started her journalistic career at the age of 18, working on the Sydney Daily Mirror. She also worked as a journalist for the Australian Daily Telegraph. She later served on the board of directors of News Corporation.
When they divorced in 1999, she reportedly received $1.7 billion (including $110 million in cash) from the settlement. She remarried six months later, to William Mann, a financier. They reside in The Hamptons, in a house formerly owned by the philanthropist Yasmin Aga Khan.
According to The Independent, the kidnappers and killers of Muriel McKay, wife of Murdoch’s deputy Alick McKay, had originally intended to kidnap Anna Murdoch instead, but confusion arose when the McKays had made use of one of Murdoch's vehicles.
- In Her Own Image (Morrow, 1986) ISBN 9780688058876
- Family Business (Morrow, 1988) ISBN 9780449145678
- Coming to Terms (1992)
- Megan Willett, "Here's What Happened The Last Time Rupert Murdoch Got Divorced", Business Insider, 14 June 2013
- David Leser, Anna and her kingdom Archived 10 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine., The Australian Women's Weekly, February 2000
- Zinn, Christopher (27 July 2001). "He was hard, ruthless and determined' Three years after her divorce from Rupert, Anna Murdoch Mann has finally broken her silence. Yes, she's bitter. And no, he doesn't come out of it very well". The Independent.
- The loves, lusts and passions of Rupert Murdoch, The Daily Telegraph, 15 July 2011
- Nathalie Tadena and Momo Zhou, "Divorce Has a Hefty Price Tag for Celebrities, Billionaires", ABC News, 20 August 2009
- Ken Auletta, Rupert Murdoch Wants A Divorce, The New Yorker, 13 June 2013
- The Independent. London. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- Pope Honors Rupert Murdoch, Roy Disney, Bob Hope