Anna Murphy (musician)
Anna Murphy in 2015
|Birth name||Anna Maria Murphy|
10 August 1989|
|Genres||Folk metal, melodic death metal, Celtic metal, pagan metal|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, multi-instrumentalist, audio engineer|
|Labels||Nuclear Blast, Fear Dark|
|Associated acts||Cellar Darling, Eluveitie, Fräkmündt, Nucleus Torn|
Anna Maria Murphy (born 10 August 1989) is a Swiss musician and audio engineer. She was a member of the folk metal band Eluveitie from 2006 until 2016, in which she performed the lead clean vocals and played the hurdy-gurdy and flute. Since her departure from Eluveitie, she has been the lead singer of the folk rock band Cellar Darling.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Discography
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Anna Murphy was born as the daughter of the Dublin-born Irish Andrew Murphy (not to be confused with the Australian sportsman) and a Swiss mother. Because both of her parents work in Switzerland as professional opera singers, she came in contact with music in her early childhood years.
In 2006, at the age of 16, she became the hurdy-gurdy player of the Swiss folk metal band Eluveitie. At that time, the band was looking for a hurdy-gurdy player. A friend mentioned her to them and so, Murphy was taken in. Before that, she had played the hurdy-gurdy for only a few months. Impressed by the German band Faun, she started playing it. After taking some classes at the music academy, she borrowed the instrument to mainly practice the music from Eluveitie. In addition, she occasionally plays the flute and sings in many of the songs.
In early 2010, Murphy formed, together with fellow Eluveitie member Meri Tadic, the ambient project godnr.universe!. By the end of the year, she also joined the folk group Fräkmündt (named after the ancient name of Mount Pilatus), which was one of the national contestants of the Eurovision Song Contest in 2011. In the end, their song D'Draachejongfer couldn't beat In Love for a While (a song by Anna Rossinelli). Since the spring of 2011, Murphy worked as an audio engineer at the Obernauer Soundfarm Studios in Lucerne. In that same year, she also became a permanent member of the band Nucleus Torn.
Trivia: Cousin to well known YouTuber and best selling author, Melanie Murphy.
- 2008: Slania (Nuclear Blast)
- 2009: Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion (Nuclear Blast)
- 2010: Everything Remains (Nuclear Blast)
- 2012: Helvetios (Nuclear Blast)
- 2014: Origins (Nuclear Blast)
Singles and EP's
- 2009: Omnos
- 2010: Thousandfold
- 2012: Meet the Enemy
- 2010: godnr.universe!
- 2010: Uufwärts e d'Föuse, bärgwärts e d'Rueh (Steinklang/Percht, re-released on Auerbach/Prophecy)
- 2011: Heiwehland (Steinklang/Percht, re-released on Auerbach/Prophecy)
- 2014: Landlieder & Frömdländler (Auerbach/Prophecy)
With Nucleus Torn
- 2011: Golden Age
- 2014: When Dreams Become Nightmares
- 2017: The First Corpse On The Moon
With Cellar Darling
- 2017: This Is the Sound
- 2013: Cellar Darling
Singles & EPs
- 2012: Twin Flames
- 2016: Mayday
- 2010: Holy Grail – Crisis in Utopia
- 2010: Swashbuckle – Crime Always Pays
- 2011: Varg – Wolfskult
- 2011: Status Minor – Ouroboros
- 2012: Blutmond – Revolution is Dead
- 2014: Haïrdrÿer – Off to Haïradise
- 2016: Back To Life – A Tribute To Goodbye To Gravity
- 2017: Folkstone - Ossidiana
- Simone Bösch: Geheimnisvolle Beschwörungen. In: Metal Hammer, Ausgabe Mai 2009, Axel Springer Mediahouse München GmbH, München 2009, pp. 48–50.
- u.A. Anna Murphy: Woher kommen eigentlich..., forum.eluveitie.ch, abgerufen am 2. April 2012 (HTML, deutsch)
- ELUVEITIE Interview with Anna, xplosivemetal.com, abgerufen am 2. April 2012 (englisch)
- godnr.universe!, myspace.com, abgerufen am 2. April 2012 (englisch)
- Fräkmündt entstaubt den Hudigäggeler, 78s.ch, abgerufen am 2. April 2012
- Fräkmündt: «D'Draachejongfer», drs3.ch, abgerufen am 2. April 2012
- Anna Murphy (Eluveitie) wird Mitglied bei Nucleus Torn, schwermetall.ch, abgerufen am 2. April 2012
- "Eluveitie". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- "Anna Murphy". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anna Murphy (musician).|