Anna Nagar West
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Anna Nagar West|
அண்ணா நகர் மேற்கு
|• Body||Greater Chennai Corporation|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Villivakkam|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Central Chennai|
|Civic agency||Greater Chennai Corporation|
Anna Nagar West (Tamil: அண்ணா நகர் மேற்கு) is a township in Chennai, India. It is the western extension of Anna Nagar and is one of the most socially active locations in Chennai. The area is one of the major transport and residential hubs within Chennai. The region contains a variety of schools and hospitals. It mostly a public service concentrated hub, located in a residential area. Millennium Park is the largest park within the region. This region is famous for its bus terminus.
Anna Nagar West began as a suburban village in connection with the urban development of Anna Nagar near Chennai at the time of the 1968 World Trade Fair. The village was planned with residential plots, apartments, commercial complexes, wide roads, school zones, a bus terminus, and large parks. Anna Nagar West's boundaries are Park Road, Anna Nagar Sixth Avenue, Inner Ring Road, Ambattur Main Road and M.T.H. Road.
The roads of Anna Nagar West are laid in a grid pattern.
Anna Nagar West terminus is situated on the Inner Ring Road. The West terminus is one of the largest bus terminals in the Chennai. It was built by the Pallavan Transport Corporation (PTC) in 1973. As it fell in the Aynavaram Metropolitan Transport Corporation (Chennai) region, its code was "ANW", then "ANI" and then "ANJ". The terminus houses about 232 buses of which 213 are used daily. About 50,000 people use this terminus daily. it is the hub for the Mogappair, CMBT, and MMDA bus terminals.
The Anna Nagar railway station was inaugurated in 2003. It is located on the road to Villivakkam. A 3.09 kilometres (1.92 mi) railway line links Anna Nagar with the Tiruvallur-Chennai suburban line. The nearest Chennai Metro station to Anna Nagar West is the Thirumangalam metro station.
Between 2003 and 2007, five suburban trains ran from Anna Nagar to Chennai Beach via Villivakkam. The station was closed in 2007 for the construction of the Padi Junction (an elevated roundabout or rotary). However, after the completion of the junction in 2009, the station remained closed due to low patronage.
- SBOA Matriculation and Higher Secondary School, Chennai
- SBOA Primary Campus
- SBOA Tiny Tyros Pre School
- Guild of Service
- CSI Ewart Matriculation and Higher Secondary School, Chennai
- Kutties, the first step day care
- British School
- Leo Matriculation and Higher Secondary School
- Shri Krishnaswamy Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Vidvattva International School
- Mary Clubwala Jadhav Special High School
- Ajay Higher Secondary School for the hearing impaired
- The Schram Academy * Chinmaya Vidyalaya
- Madras Naturopathy & Siddha Hospital
- Silkee Laser Research Institute
- Scarf Hospital
- KKR ENT Hospital
- I.K. Hospitals
- Shivas Eye Care
- Heritage Ayurveda Clinic
- Christian Maternity Home clinic
- Excel Polyclinic
- Barking Fine Pet Clinic
- B's Creche & Play School
Location in context
- "Muthusamy's Photo Stream: Chennai Anna Nagar Township Emerged from World Trade Fair 1968: Madras Week 2015 Photowalk Experience". Muthusamy's Photo Stream. 2015-08-24. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- Vijaiya R. K. Chennai bus services MTC Chennai 25 November 2012
- Ayyappan, V (18 February 2011). "Train service from Anna Nagar to resume". The Times Of India. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Madhavan, T. (14 April 2013). "Padi and Anna Nagar wait for rail link". The Hindu. Retrieved 5 June 2018.