Anna Maria Piaggi
|Born||22 March 1931|
|Died||7 August 2012 (aged 81)|
|Occupation||translator, fashion writer|
Anna Maria Piaggi (22 March 1931 – 7 August 2012) was an Italian fashion writer and style icon. She was known for her bright blue hair, liberal use of make-up, and her sense of style that mixed vintage and contemporary fashion.
Piaggi was born in Milan on 22 March 1931. She worked as a translator for an Italian publishing company Mondadori, then wrote for fashion magazines such as the Italian edition of Vogue and, in the 1980s, the avant-garde magazine Vanity. From 1988 she designed double page spreads in the Italian Vogue, where her artistic flair was given free expression in a montage of images and text, with layout by Luca Stoppini. These networks of images and ideas built upon Piaggi's awareness of fashion and art history to provide an open-ended attempt at understanding fashion designers' influences.
Her work and life is celebrated by her nephew Stefano Piaggi, president of the Associazione Culturale Anna Piaggi, who also promotes the film Anna Piaggi: Una Visionaria della Moda, directed by Alina Marazzi.
- Piaggi, Anna and Karl Lagerfeld. Karl Lagerfeld: A Fashion Journal. Thames and Hudson, 1986. ISBN 0-500-01395-0.
- Lagerfeld, Karl. Lagerfeld's Sketchbook: Karl Lagerfeld's Illustrated Fashion Journal of Anna Piaggi. Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1988. ISBN 1-55584-019-1.
- Piaggi, A. Africa di Missoni per Italia 90, Anna Piaggi and Gianni Brera. Edizioni Electa, 1990. ISBN 88-435-3410-6.
- Piaggi, A. Anna Piaggi's Fashion Algebra, Anna Piaggi. Thames and Hudson, 1998. ISBN 0-500-01876-6.
- Piaggi, A. Doppie pagine di Anna Piaggi in Vogue. Leonardo Arte, 1998. ISBN 88-7813-883-5.
- Piaggi, A., Wintour, Anna, Michael Roberts, André Leon Talley, and Manolo Blahnik. Manolo Blahnik Drawings. Thames and Hudson, 2003. ISBN 0-500-28413-X.
- Clark, Judith (editor). Anna Piaggi Fashion-ology. Victoria and Albert Museum, 2006. ISBN 0-9552335-0-X/ISBN 978-0-9552335-0-0.
- Pass, Victoria Rose (2015). Anna Piaggi. London: Bloomsbury. doi:10.5040/9781474260428-fpa174.
- Diana Formaggio, Francesco Marraro (1987). Il "chi è" del giornalismo italiano: repertorio ragionato ad uso degli uffici stampa. Roma: Al. Ver. editrice. Accessed May 2014.
- "Anna Piaggi - The Exhibition". Archived from the original on 2007-07-11. Retrieved 2014-05-22.. Victoria and Albert Museum. Archived 11 July 2007.
- "Anna Piaggi: Fashion-ology; 2 February 2006 – 23 April 2006". Archived from the original on 2007-06-30. Retrieved 2007-05-28.. Victoria and Albert Museum. Archived 30 June 2007.
- Whitwort, Melissa (1 February 2012). "'Bill Cunningham New York', gets UK cinema release". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Anna Piaggi: the fashion legend | a special workshop with Stefano Piaggi". Polimoda. 2017-03-22. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- Cunningham, Bill (27 March 1994). "ON THE STREET; Apart From the Crowd". The New York Times. Retrieved 20 January 2008.
- Bergin, Olivia (7 August 2012). "Fashion world mourns death of fashion writer Anna Piaggi". London: The Telegraph. Archived from the original on 8 August 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- Stuever, Hank (9 August 2012). "Fashion journalist Anna Piaggi, 81, was known for her unique style of clothing". The Washington Post.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anna Piaggi.|