The neutrality of this article is disputed. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Anna Renee Todd (born March 21, 1989) is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of new adult romance the After series. Hailed by Cosmopolitan as “the biggest literary phenomenon of her generation,” Anna began her literary career on the social storytelling platform Wattpad. Serialized on Wattpad in 2013, After has over 1.5 billion reads on the site. The print edition, published in 2014 by Gallery Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, has over 15 million copies in circulation, has been published in over 30 languages and is a #1 bestseller in Italy, Germany, France, Georgia and Spain. A film by the same name is in the making and is due to release on April 12, 2019.
Inspired by the music and fandom of One Direction, Anna began writing stories on her phone with the Wattpad app in 2013, publishing a chapter almost daily for over a year. Her hobby soon became her career as After rapidly gained reads on Wattpad to become the most read series on the platform.
Todd wrote three books on Wattpad, clocking in at over one million words for the After series, which follows the tumultuous, often toxic relationship between college students Tessa Young and Harry Styles (Hardin Scott in the published version).
Since 2014, Anna and the publication of the series garnered worldwide press attention in outlets including in The New York Times, The Washington Post, Cosmopolitan, New York Magazine, Nylon, and Billboard.
In 2015 Todd announced that she would be publishing Before, a prequel novel that tells the events of After from the perspective of Hardin Scott.
Anna received the award for Best New Romance Writer from the New Romance Festival in the fall of 2016. Her next book, The Spring Girls, is set for publication in January 2018 and will be a reimagining of Louisa May Alcott’s classic, Little Women.
In October 2014, Paramount Pictures acquired film rights to the series with Offspring Entertainment (Step Up franchise, Rock of Ages) set to produce. The movie based on her first book is coming out on April 12, 2019. Josephine Langford is playing Tessa, the female protagonist, and Hero Fiennes-Tiffin is playing Hardin, the male protagonist.
Todd grew up in Dayton, Ohio. She married her husband Jordan, an American soldier at the age of 18 and the two moved to Fort Hood, Texas, where she worked at a Waffle House and the makeup counter of ULTA Beauty. Todd has a son named Asher with her husband.
- After (October 2014)
- After We Collided (November 2014)
- After We Fell (December 2014)
- After Ever Happy (February 2015)
- Before (December 2015)
- Imagines (Contributor - April 2016)
- Nothing More (September 2016)
- Nothing Less (December 2016)
- The Spring Girls (January 2018)
- The Brightest Stars (September 2018)
- "This 25-Year-Old Turned Her One Direction Obsession Into a Six-Figure Paycheck". Cosmopolitan. 2014-10-21. Retrieved 2017-04-26.
- "S&S Acquires Anna Todd's 'After' Series from Wattpad". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Alter, Alexandra (October 21, 2014). "Harry Styles of One Direction Stars in Anna Todd's Novel". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Contrera, Jessica; Contrera, Jessica (October 24, 2014). "From 'Fifty Shades' to 'After': Why publishers want fan fiction to go mainstream". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "This 25-Year-Old Turned Her One Direction Obsession Into a Six-Figure Paycheck". Cosmopolitan. October 21, 2014. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "It's a Fanmade World: Your Guide to the Fanfiction Explosion". Vulture. March 11, 2015. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "NYLON Explores The New Age Of Fandom". Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "Steamy One Direction Fan Fiction Being Shopped to Hollywood". Billboard. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Goodman, Jessica. "After author Anna Todd to release new book, Before -- exclusive". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "Festival New Romance by Nolim". www.festivalnewromance.com. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "'After' author brings 'Little Women' into the 21st century". EW.com. July 14, 2016. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (October 16, 2014). "'After' Movie: Paramount Acquires Rights To Wattpad Book By Anna Todd". Deadline. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Ellenbogen, Rachael (July 24, 2018). "When Is Anna Todd's 'After' Movie Coming Out? Release Date Revealed". ibtimes.com. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Kois, Dan. "How One Direction Superfan Anna Todd Went From Waffle House Waitress to Next-Big-Author With Erotic Fan-Fic Series 'After'". Billboard. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "together1heart". together1heart. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- "Anna Todd". Simon & Schuster. Retrieved April 26, 2017.