Seal of the University
|Motto||Tamil: அறிவின் மூலம் முன்னேற்றம்|
Motto in English
|Progress through Knowledge|
|Chancellor||Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Campus||Urban, 223.27 acres|
Anna University is a technical university in Tamil Nadu, India. The main university campus is located in Guindy, Chennai. It was named after C N Annadurai, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu on 4 September 1978 . It became an affiliating university in 2001, absorbing all engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu. In 2007, it was split into six constituent universities namely Chennai (campus), Chennai, Coimbatore, Madurai, Tiruchirappalli and Tirunelveli. On 14 September 2011, the constituents were merged back to a single affiliating university for engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu.
The Government of Tamil Nadu established the Anna University of Technology on 4 September 1978 through Tamil Nadu Act 30 of 1978. The new university was formed from the erstwhile University of Madras faculty of engineering and technology and consisted of four institutes namely College of Engineering, Guindy, Alagappa College of Technology, Madras Institute of Technology and School of Architecture and Planning. In 1982, the name current name "Anna University" was adopted.
In 2001, under the Anna University Amendment Act of 2001, the university became an affiliating university, taking under its wings all the engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu. This included six government engineering colleges, three government-aided private institutions, and 426 self-financing colleges. On 1 February 2007, as a result of a Government of Tamil Nadu decision, the university was split into six universities constituent universities namely, Anna University, Chennai, Anna University of Technology, Chennai, Anna University of Technology, Tiruchirappalli, Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore, Anna University of Technology Tirunelveli and Anna University of Technology, Madurai. The institutes were formally created in 2010. On 14 September 2011, a bill was passed to merge back the universities. However, as of February 2012[update], the separate universities are still operating.
A Common Entrance Test namely Tamil Nadu Professional Courses Entrance Examination (TNPC EE) was used as a basis for admission to professional courses in the state until 2006. Starting in the academic year 2007-08, students were admitted to engineering colleges on the basis of their higher secondary marks.
The university offers various courses in engineering and technology through its affiliated colleges and follows a dual semester system. Every year the university conducts examinations for even semester in May–June and for odd semester in November–December. The 1st semester students have exams in January.
The university's main campus is located in Chennai and extends over 185 acres adjoining the Adyar River and the Raj Bhavan. It houses College of Engineering, Guindy, Alagappa College of Technology, School of Architecture and Planning, three technical departments of the University of Madras and another campus are located in Chrompet (Madras Institute of Technology).
The university has satellite campuses in Coimbatore, Tiruchirappalli, Madurai and Tirunelveli. The university also runs engineering colleges at Villupuram, Tindivanam, Arani and Kanchipuram in Chennai region, Erode and Bargur in Coimbatore region, Panruti, Pattukkottai, Thirukkuvalai and Ariyalur in Tiruchirapalli region, Ramanathapuram and Dindigul in Madurai region, Nagercoil and Thoothukudi in Tirunelveli region.
Satellite and TV
ISRO has permitted Anna University to start a separate TV channel. The university has established Tamil Nadu’s first Interactive Satellite Terminal under the Ku Band of EDUSAT. Anna University Microsatellite ANUSAT is an Indian student built microsatellite. Anusat is the first satellite designed and developed by an Indian university and is the first satellite in India to be built and operated by any organisation other than ISRO. It carries a primary store and forward payload and auxiliary technology demonstration payloads. It was launched aboard PSLV-C12 on 20 April 2009. The satellite's development was sponsored by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- A P J Abdul Kalam, former President of India
- Verghese Kurien, architect of Operation Flood and India's White Revolution and winner of the Ramon Magsaysay Award and the World Food Prize
- Sujatha Rangarajan, writer
- Venu Srinivasan, Chairman of Sundaram - Clayton Limited and TVS Motor Company
- Upendra J Chivukula, American politician
- A C Muthiah, Indian industrialist and ex-President, Board of Control for Cricket in India
- Akkineni Nagarjuna, Indian film actor and Producer
- Raj Reddy, Turing Award winner, Professor at Carnegie-Mellon University
- S Somasegar, Corporate Vice President, Developer Division, Microsoft
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth, former Captain of the Indian cricket team and the Chairman of the selection committee
- Mylswamy Annadurai, Project Director of Chandrayaan-1 and Chandrayaan-2, Currently Programme Director IRS & SSS (Indian Remote Sensing & Small, Science and Student Satellites)
- Shiv Nadar, Chairman and CSO of HCL Technologies
- K Pandiarajan, founder Director of Mafoi Consultants
- Sundaram Karivardhan, Industrialist and Motorsport pioneer
- V M Muralidharan, Chairman, Ethiraj College for Women and Global COO, Bahwan CyberTek Group
- Anand Chandrasekaran, Chief Product Officer of Snapdeal
- P S Veeraraghavan, director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
- Ravi Jagannathan, Economist and Professor, Kellogg School of Management
- Ravi Ruia, Essar Group
- G V Loganathan, former professor, Virginia Tech
- A G Ramakrishnan, Professor, Indian Institute of Science
- Y S Chowdary, Minister of State, Science and Technology & Earth Sciences, Government of India
- Kalidhindi B R Varma, Vice Chancellor, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning
- Mahesh Muthuswami, Cinematog 2012
- Kutraleeswaran, Marathon swimmer, The youngest Arjuna Award winner
- Bhargav Sri Prakash, Entrepreneur and Hedge Fund Manager
- Rajkumar Bharathi, Classical singer and music composer
- Raaghav, on screen, film actor and television personality
- Madhan Karky, Tamil film lyricist
- N. Srinivasan India Cements
- M. S. Ananth IIT Madras
- M.Murugappan Murugappa Group
- Y.G.Mahendra Tamil and Malayalam Actor
- N Shankar Chemplast Sanmar
- G V Prasad, Dr.Reddys labs
- Bharathi Baskar, Renowned Tamil Speaker
- Thirumalachari Ramasami, Secretary to Government of India,Department of Science and Technology
- "Anna University to become a single entity from August 1". The Hindu. 23 July 2012.
- Tamil Nadu Act 26 of 1982[permanent dead link]
- "Welcome to Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore". annauniv.ac.in. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- "The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : House passes Bill to amend Anna University Act". thehindu.com. The Hindu. September 15, 2011. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "AUT merger not total, universities separately handle affiliation - Times Of India". indiatimes.com. 3 February 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Common Entrance Test abolished in Tamil Nadu".
- "Should Common Entrance Test be scrapped?".
- "Verghese Kurien". amuldairy.com. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Upendra J. Chivukula (D)". njleg.state.nj.us. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "A. C. Muttiah". cegalumni.org. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Akkineni Nagarjuna". lifestyle.iloveindia.com. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- "Raj Reddy". rr.cs.cmu.edu. Archived from the original on 9 July 2011. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- "Somasegar's Blog". microsoft.com. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "Krishnamachari Srikkanth". cegam.in. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- "Outstanding Alumni Award" (PDF).[permanent dead link]
- "Veeraraghavan new VSSC director". The Hindu. October 31, 2009. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- "Distinguished Alumni". Electronics & Communication Engineering, PSG College of Technology. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Mr.G.Parthasarathy's profile as a faculty of Centre for Policy Research". cprindia.org. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anna University, Chennai.|