Anna and Elizabeth
|Anna and Elizabeth|
|German||Anna und Elisabeth|
|Directed by||Frank Wisbar|
|Edited by||Alice Ludwig|
|Music by||Paul Dessau|
|Distributed by||Terra Film|
Anna and Elizabeth (German: Anna und Elisabeth) is a 1933 German drama film directed by Frank Wisbar and starring Dorothea Wieck, Hertha Thiele and Mathias Wieman. The film reunited Wieck and Thiele who had starred in Mädchen in Uniform together two years earlier.
Elisabeth, a wealthy young aristocratic woman who uses a wheelchair, hears of Anna a young peasant girl who is apparently able to work miracles. She brings the reluctant village girl to live with her, and appears to have been cured simply through her sheer belief in Anna's powers. However, an attempt to demonstrate Anna's skills to the public fails, and in her despair Elisabeth throws herself off a cliff while Anna returns to her simple village life.
The film was reviewed in The New York Times following its American release. The review praised the acting of Wieck, but was less impressed with that of Thiele. While admitting that the director had a natural flair for tragedy, the reviewer thought that the film was sometimes so slow-moving that it lapsed into ponderousness.
- Dorothea Wieck as Elisabeth, Mistress of the manor von Salis
- Hertha Thiele as Anna, peasant girl
- Mathias Wieman as Mathias Testa
- Maria Wanck as Margarete, Elisabeth's sister
- Carl Balhaus as Martin
- Willy Kaiser-Heyl as pastor
- Roma Bahn as Mary Lane
- Dorothea Thiess as Anna's mother
- Carl Wery as Anna's father
- Karl Platen as village doctor
- Robert Eckert as estate neighbor
- Margarete Kestra as Helena
- Doris Thalmer as Nena
- Sybil Smolova as Schiefhals
- Hake, Sabine (2009). Bock, Hans-Michael; Bergfelder, Tim (eds.). The Concise Cinegraph: Encyclopaedia of German Cinema. New York, NY: Berghahn Books. p. 530. doi:10.2307/j.ctt1x76dm6. ISBN 978-1571816559. JSTOR j.ctt1x76dm6.
- "Movie Review - - " Anna und Elisabeth" With Dorothea Wieck and Hertha Thiele - "Liebelei"". The New York Times. 2 July 1933.