Early life and education
Bennett's father was a lawyer, and at an early age she had hopes of following him into the legal profession. Her father, however, thought that law was a bad career choice for women, because "you had to be better than the best to break even"  and discouraged his daughter from pursuing this ambition. Instead, Bennett studied science at the University of Sydney and completed a Ph.D. in Biochemistry at the same institution.
She was appointed to the Federal Court of Australia in May 2003. Bennett was also an additional Judge of the Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory and a presidential member of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. [footnote 3 doesn't work, 20-06-2106]
Bennett retired from the Federal Court on 23 March 2016.
Awards and honours
Bennett was made an Officer of the Order of Australia in 2005, for services to law. In 2011, she received the honorary degree of Doctor of the University from the Australian National University.]footnote 2 doesn't work, 20-06-2106]
Outside of the courtroom, Bennett's interest in biological sciences has continued, and she has been involved in a number of committees, including the Genetic Manipulation Advisory Committee, the Biotechnology Task Force and the Gene Patenting Advisory Committee of the Australian Law Reform Commission. She has also served as a Director of the Sydney Children's Hospital and Neuroscience Research Australia and is a former president of the Australian Academy of Forensic Sciences. In 2012, she was appointed Chair of the National Health and Medical Research Council.
Her Honour is also a past President of Chief Executive Women, a former Trustee of the Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust, and was a member of the Reference Group for the APEC Women Leaders' Network Meeting 2007 and the Head of the Australian Delegation to the APEC Women Leaders' Network Meeting 2008 in Peru.
- Jerums, Georgina (January 2009). "A Top Honour". Management Today. Australian Institute of Management.
- "Annabelle Claire Bennett: Citation for an Honorary Degree" (PDF). The Australian National University. 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "The Hon Annabelle Claire BENNETT AO". Federal Court of Australia. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Jeffery, Nicole (2015-12-09). "Rio Olympics: Canberra judge Annabelle Bennett on arbitration panel". The Australian. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- Former Judges of the Federal Court
- 8th Chancellor and the new Council