|Full name||Annabelle Jane Carey|
|National team||New Zealand|
|Born||11 March 1989|
Nelson, New Zealand
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Club||Wharenui Swim Club|
Annabelle Jane Carey (born 11 March 1989) was a New Zealand swimmer, who specialized in breaststroke events. As of 2006, she currently holds a New Zealand record of 1:09.26 in the 100 m breaststroke from the World Championship Trials in Auckland. In the same year she helped out the New Zealand team to pull off a fourth-place effort in the medley relay at the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, Australia, with a record-breaking time of 4:06.30.
Carey qualified for two events as New Zealand's youngest swimmer (aged 15) at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. She cleared a FINA B-standard entry time of 1:12.57 (100 m breaststroke) at the Olympic trials in Auckland. In the 100 m breaststroke, she challenged seven other swimmers in the third heat, including fellow 15-year-old Lee Ji-young of South Korea. She rounded out the field to last place and thirty-fifth overall by 0.28 of second, behind Lee in 1:13.21. She also teamed up with Hannah McLean, Elizabeth Coster, and Alison Fitch in the 4 × 100 m medley relay. Swimming the breaststroke leg in heat one, Carey recorded a time of 1:11.98, but the New Zealand team settled for sixth place and thirteenth overall in a final time of 4:10.37.
Carey also sought her second Olympic bid to compete for the New Zealand team in Beijing 2008. She was an all-time favorite in the national trials, campaigning for her second Olympic stint. In an all-important final, Carey lost her goggles upon diving in. She managed to finish in second place behind Zoe Baker, but missed out on an Olympic spot.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Annabelle Carey". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Carey breaks own record". TVNZ. 15 December 2006. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Women's 4×100m Medley Relay Final". Melbourne 2006. BBC Sport. 21 March 2006. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Swimming – Women's 100m Breaststroke Startlist (Heat 3)" (PDF). Athens 2004. Omega Timing. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "NZ Olympic Team Profiles: Swimming". TVNZ. 30 June 2004. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Women's 100m Breaststroke Heat 3". Athens 2004. BBC Sport. 15 August 2004. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Thomas, Stephen (15 August 2004). "Women's 100 Breaststroke Prelims: Aussies Hanson and Jones Qualify One-Two". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 3 July 2006. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Women's 4×100m Medley Heat 1". Athens 2004. BBC Sport. 14 August 2004. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- Thomas, Stephen (20 August 2004). "Women's 400 Medley Relay, Prelims Day 7: Aussies Qualify Ahead of USA in Two-Way Battle for Gold". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Lost goggles blow Carey's games chances". Stuff.co.nz. 31 March 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
|This biographical article related to a New Zealand swimmer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|