Annan Shawhill railway station
|Area||Dumfries and Galloway|
|Original company||Solway Junction Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|8 August 1870||Station opened as Annan|
|1 January 1917||Closed|
|2 March 1919||Re-opened|
|2 June 1924||Station renamed Annan Shawhill|
|27 April 1931||Station closed to passenger traffic|
|1955||Station closed for freight traffic|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
|Solway Junction Railway|
Annan Shawhill was a station which served Annan, in the Scottish county of Dumfries and Galloway. It was served by trains on a line which ran between from a junction with the Caledonian Railway Main Line at Kirtlebridge across the Glasgow South Western Line, then forming the Solway Junction Railway over the Solway Viaduct to England.
Annan is now served by the former GSWR station.
Opened by the Solway Junction Railway, then part of the Caledonian Railway it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1931 and the line south of Annan over the Solway Viaduct was closed completely. The line remained open from Annan to Kirtlebridge until 1955 for freight traffic when the line was then closed completely.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Solway Junction Railway
The site today
The station house is now a private dwelling.  In 1965 the goods shed still survived and the trackbed was in use as the route for the pipeline that carried waste water from Chapelcross nuclear power station.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Mullay, A. J. (1990). Rails across the border: the story of Anglo-Scottish Railways. Wellingborough: Patrick Stephens Limited. ISBN 1-85260-186-8.
- RAILSCOT on Solway Junction Railway
- Railways of the Solway Plain
- Station on navigable O.S. map Route of line crosses open railway line to the east of current station Start of former Solway Bridge can be seen)
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|