Burrell (left) and Jackie Craig in June 2010
September 21, 1969|
Cazenovia, New York, United States
The Culinary Institute of America|
Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners
Anne W. Burrell (born September 21, 1969) is an American chef, TV personality, and an instructor at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City until 2007. She is the host of the Food Network show Secrets Of a Restaurant Chef and co-host of Worst Cooks in America. She was also one of Iron Chef Mario Batali's sous chefs in the Iron Chef America series and appears on other programs on the network such as The Best Thing I Ever Ate. She was a contestant on the fourth season of The Food Network competition show, The Next Iron Chef Super Chefs being eliminated in episode 6. She was also a contestant on the first season of Chopped All-Stars Tournament, winning the "Food Network Personalities" preliminary round to advance to the final round, where she placed second runner up to Nate Appleman (winner) and Aarón Sanchez. In 2015, Burrell won the fourth installment of the Chopped All-Stars tournament winning $75,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. She also hosted the series Chef Wanted with Anne Burrell in 2012–2013.
Early life and education
A year later, Burrell enrolled at the Culinary Institute of America, eventually graduating in 1996 with an Associate in Occupational Studies (A.O.S.). She also studied at the Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners (ICIF) in Asti in the Piedmont region.
This section needs to be updated.(February 2017)
Burrell released a statement to the New York Post confirming that she is lesbian and has been in a relationship with her girlfriend, chef Koren Grieveson, for two years after cookbook author Ted Allen seemingly outed her on a radio show. Burrell disputed the notion she had been outed, saying she had not kept her sexuality a secret.
Burrell returned to the U.S. as a sous chef at Felidia, owned by celebrity chef Lidia Bastianich. The connection with Bastianich would help her career. She became the chef at Savoy, a small prix fixe dining room. After Savoy, Burrell began teaching at the Institute of Culinary Education. Lidia Bastianich's son and restaurateur, Joseph Bastianich, and Chef Mario Batali named Burrell the chef for Italian Wine Merchants, their New York wine store. The Batali connection would further propel her career.
She later became the executive chef of Centro Vinoteca, an Italian restaurant in New York City's West Village area which opened in 2007. She left the restaurant in September 2008 due to her busy schedule and many commitments. The departure also meant that she would not start at Gusto Ristorante, as both of the restaurants are part of Mangia Hospitality Group. Burrell planned to open her first restaurant in 2010 in New York City . Burrell opened her restaurant, Phil & Anne's Good Time Lounge, in Brooklyn in spring 2017, though as of April, 2018, the restaurant has closed.
In 2005, Iron Chef Mario Batali asked Burrell to serve as one of his sous chefs, along with chef and restaurateur Mark Ladner, for a pilot taping of Food Network’s the Iron Chef America series. She continued to serve as his sous chef during his tenure with the show.
Burrell's Food Network show, Secrets Of a Restaurant Chef, debuted June 29, 2008. In 2009, she appeared on another Food Network show, The Best Thing I Ever Ate, in which chefs recount their favorite dishes.
In 2010, Burrell and Chef Beau MacMillan hosted a Food Network reality series named Worst Cooks in America. Burrell and her co-host lead contestants through a "culinary boot camp" on their journey to become better cooks. The first season premiered on January 3, 2010. Chef Burrell won the challenge when her recruit, Rachel Coleman, edged out MacMillan's recruit, Jenny Cross.
The second season premiered on January 2, 2011, with Chef MacMillan being replaced by Chef Robert Irvine. To raise the stakes, Irvine and Burrell made a side bet, where Burrell risked losing her signature hair and Irvine risked going platinum. Chef Burell won both the competition and the side-bet, when her recruit, Joshie Berger, edged out Irvine's recruit, Georg Coleman.
The third season of Worst Cooks in America premiered on February 12, 2012. Chef Bobby Flay was the new co-host/chef for season three. Chef Burrell again won the competition, when her recruit Kelli Powers edged out Flay's recruit, Vinnie Caligiuri. Season four started on Sunday February 17, 2013. Season four concluded with Flay's team finally defeating Burrell's team, when his recruit from Team Bobby/the blue team, Alina Bolshakova, edged out Burrell's recruit, the red team's Rasheeda Brown.
- "Twitter / anne burrell: For the record-my b-day is". Twitter.com. 2011-03-07. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Debra S. Park Secrets of a Restaurant Chef Canisius College Magazine, Fall 2008 (Accessed November 14, 2009)
- "The Culinary Institute of America". Ciachef.edu. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Food Net chef gay & proud New York Post. nypost.com. Retrieved May 26, 2012.
- "Food Network Host Anne Burrell Says She's Never Hidden Her Sexuality".
- Wong, Curtis (2012-05-25). "Anne Burrell Comes Out: Food Network Star Confirms She's A Lesbian". Huffington Post. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- Lehner, Marla (2013-01-14). "NeNe Leakes: Is She Engaged ... to Her Ex Husband? – Couples, Engagements, A.J. Buckley, NeNe Leakes, Rider Strong". People.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "anne burrell (chefanneburrell) on Twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "Centro Vinoteca". Centro Vinoteca. Archived from the original on 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Breaking Eaterwire Anne Burrell Out at Centro Vinoteca Eater NY September 22, 2008 (Accessed November 22, 2009)
- "Gusto Ristorante". Gustonyc.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Sarah DiGregorio Wed., Jun. 25 2008 at 11:54 AM (2008-06-25). "Anne Burrell's 'Secrets,' Plus Resto Reccs and Why Being a Girl Chef isn't a Big Deal – New York Restaurants and Dining – Fork in the Road". Blogs.villagevoice.com. Archived from the original on 2010-04-14. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Anne Burrell Boils Over With 'Worst Cooks,' Fast Food AOL PopEater (Accessed February 1, 2010)
- "Anne Burrell's Brooklyn Restaurant Appears to Be Closed". Eater NY. Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- Gina Salamone Worst Cooks In America: New reality show will try to whip them into shape[Daily News (New York)|NY Daily News] November 11, 2009 (Accessed November 22, 2009)
- "Robert Irvine Bleaches Hair After Losing "Worst Cooks"". Food Network Humor. 2011-02-21. Archived from the original on 2013-12-02. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Jim Ridley Win Free Tickets to the Guy Fieri Roadshow Archived November 24, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. Nashville Scene, November 20, 2009 (Accessed November 22, 2009)
- Stanley, John (2009-11-10). "12/18: The Guy Fieri Road Show". Azcentral.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Sunny Anderson (2009-11-24). "(Accessed November 28, 2009)". Sunnyanderson.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "Food Network Travel, Upcoming Trip – Featuring Anne Burrell". Foodnetworktravel.com. 2011-11-02. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "Chef Wanted with Anne Burrell (TV Series 2012– ) – IMDb". 2009-11-24. Retrieved 2013-01-08.
- "Twitter / chefanneburrell". Twitter.com. 2014-01-06. Retrieved 2014-01-08.