Anne Kelly Knowles
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Anne Kelly Knowles (born 1957) is an American geographer and a specialist in Historical GIS. After teaching for over ten years at Middlebury College in Vermont as a professor of geography, she is now a professor of history at University of Maine.
She received her MA and PhD from University of Wisconsin–Madison. Her first book, Calvinists Incorporated Welsh Immigrants on Ohio’s Industrial Frontier examined the influence of immigrants’ traditions and social values on their economic behavior during the industrialization of their new region as workers and investors in Welsh-owned charcoal iron companies.
In 2002 she edited the first book ever published with case studies of the use of Historical GIS in various disciplines. She was the guest editor of a special issue of the journal Social Science History about this field.
She is doing research using spatial analysis about the role of skilled ironworkers in the transfer of technology in the U.S. iron industry 1800-1868. She is also studying the Holocaust by visually mapping recorded data.
Knowles was the 2012 recipient of Smithsonian magazine's American Ingenuity Award in the Historic Scholarship category.
Geographies of the Holocaust (2014), edited by Anne Kelly Knowles, Tim Cole, and Alberto Giordano. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. I co-authored four chapters.
- Knowles, Anne Kelly. 2013. Mastering Iron: The Struggle to Modernize an American Industry. University of Chicago Press.
- Knowles, Anne Kelly ed. 2005. Emerging Trends in Historical GIS. In Historical Geography, Baton Rouge, LA: Geoscience Publications.
- Knowles, Anne Kelly, 2002. Past Time, Past Place: GIS for History. ESRI press ISBN 1-58948-032-5
- Knowles, Anne Kelly ed. 2000. Historical GIS: The Spatial Turn in Social Science History, Social Science History 24 (3).
- Knowles, Anne Kelly. 1997. Calvinists Incorporated: Welsh Immigrants on Ohio’s Industrial Frontier. ISBN 0-226-44853-3
- Faculty page at Middlebury College
- References to Anne K. Knowles in Google Scholar
- References to Anne K. Knowles work in popular media. in New York Times
|This Vermont-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|