Anne M. Leggett
Leggett is the editor-in-chief of the newsletter of the Association for Women in Mathematics. With Bettye Anne Case, she is the editor of the book Complexities: Women in Mathematics (with Anne M. Leggett, Princeton University Press, 2005).
Education and career
Leggett did her undergraduate studies at Ohio State University, and completed her Ph.D. in 1973 at Yale University. Her dissertation, Maximal -r.e. sets and their complements, was supervised by Manuel Lerman.
She became a C. L. E. Moore instructor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1973, and was also on the faculties of Western Illinois University and the University of Texas at Austin. In 1982, she married another mathematician, Gerard McDonald (1946–2012), and in 1983, they both joined the Loyola Chicago faculty.
Leggett was chosen to be part of the 2019 class of fellows of the Association for Women in Mathematics, "for extraordinary contributions in promoting opportunities for women in the mathematical sciences through AWM and as a teacher and scholar; for her amazing and steady work as editor of the AWM Newsletter since 1977; and for her invaluable leadership and guidance."
- Executive committee, Association for Women in Mathematics, retrieved 2018-10-08
- Reviews of Complexities: Women in Mathematics:
- Henson, Shandelle M. (January 2006), American Mathematical Monthly, 113 (1): 91–93, doi:10.2307/27641858
- Davis, A. E. L. (November 2006), Mathematical Gazette, 90 (519): 548–549, JSTOR 40378234
- Voolich, Erica (July 2007), "Complexities: Women in Mathematics", Convergence
- Spencer, Gwen (September 2007), Math Horizons, 15 (1): 29–30, JSTOR 25678709
- Kidwell, Peggy Aldrich (September 2007), Minerva, 45 (3): 353–356, JSTOR 41821420
- Korten, Marianne (May 2009), The Mathematical Intelligencer, 31 (3): 48–49, doi:10.1007/s00283-009-9052-z
- "McDonald, Anne", Mathematics and Statistics, Loyola University Chicago, retrieved 2018-10-08
- Anne M. Leggett at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Moore Instructors at MIT from 1949, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Mathematics Department, retrieved 2018-10-08
- "In loving memory", Loyola Phoenix, September 2, 2012, retrieved 2018-10-08
- 2019 Class of AWM Fellows, Association for Women in Mathematics, retrieved 2018-10-07