|Member of Parliament
for Glasgow North East
8 May 2015
|Preceded by||Willie Bain|
|Member of the Scottish Parliament
12 February 2009 – 22 March 2011
|Preceded by||Bashir Ahmad|
8 March 1966 |
Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland
|Political party||Scottish National Party|
|Alma mater||Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama|
Anne McLaughlin (born 8 March 1966) is a Scottish National Party (SNP) politician and the Member of Parliament (MP) for Glasgow North East since 2015. She was a Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) for Glasgow between 2009 and 2011. In the 2015 UK General Election she won the Glasgow North East constituency for the SNP from the Labour Party candidate Willie Bain.
McLaughlin comes from Greenock but has lived in Glasgow for many years. She contested Glasgow Springburn in the 2007 Scottish Parliament election, finishing second, and had previously contested the Glasgow Rutherglen seat at the 2001 UK General Election (again finishing second) and the similar Glasgow Rutherglen seat at the 2003 Scottish Parliament election. She was SNP campaign co-ordinator when John Mason won the Glasgow East by-election, 2008.
Member of the Scottish Parliament: 2009–2011
McLaughlin became a regional member for Glasgow on 6 February 2009, following the death of Bashir Ahmad, as the next person on the SNP's regional list. Before this she was employed as a researcher for the MSP Bob Doris. She has championed the cause of English language skills in Glasgow school-children. She was a member of the Public Audit and Public Petitions parliamentary committees (2009–2011).
Inverclyde by-election, 2011
She was chosen by party members at a selection meeting in Greenock to contest the Inverclyde constituency in the June 2011 UK Parliament by-election. However, Labour retained the seat on a 5,835 majority which was reduced from 14,416.
- "Inverclyde by-election: The candidates". STV News. 8 June 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- Revealed: Glasgow's urgent need for extra English tuition, The Glaswegian March 05, 2009
- "Previous MSPs: Session 3 (2007-2011): McLaughlin, Anne". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- Inverclyde by-election, 2011, breakingnews.heraldscotland.com; accessed 8 May 2015.
- Profile snp.org
- Anne McLaughlin on Twitter;
- Blogs: indygal goes to holyrood indygal in europe indygal
- personal website relating to MSP position in use between 2009−2011
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Glasgow North East