||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
She was born Jacqueline Anne Stallybrass in Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex to Edward Lindsay Stallybrass (1905-1990) and Annie Isobel (née Peacock) Stallybrass (1911-1981), who wed in 1933 in Hackney, London. She was educated at St. Bernard's Convent and spent three years training at the Royal Academy of Music, where she won the Drama Gold Medal. She began her professional acting career by spending several years in repertory, gaining experience in Folkestone Kent, with the Arthur Brough Players, before moving to Nottingham and then to Sheffield.
The television roles for which she is best known are: Jane Seymour in The Six Wives of Henry VIII (1970), and Anne Onedin in The Onedin Line, written by Cyril Abraham. Other major roles include Anna Strauss in The Strauss Family (1972), Susan Henchard in The Mayor of Casterbridge (1978 adaptation), and Muriel Thomas in The Old Devils (1992). From 1995 until 1998 she played Eileen Reynolds in ITV's period police drama Heartbeat. For the BBC she portrayed Queen Elizabeth II, for Diana: Her True Story (1993), the made for TV mini-series from Andrew Motion's biography. She was twice nominated for the British Academy Television Award for Best Actress; for her portrayals of Anne Onedin and Anna Strauss.
She has been married twice and has no children. She met her first husband Roger Rowland in Nottingham; the couple wed in 1963, but separated after nine years of marriage and later divorced. Peter Gilmore's second marriage broke up not long after and the friendship between the two Onedin Line actors gradually developed; they fell in love and began to live together. In 1987, after ten years, the couple married and remained together until Gilmore's death in February 2013. They lived in Barnes, London and owned a cottage, named Onedin House, in Dartmouth, which was used as a film location for scenes in The Onedin Line.
- Month and year of birth of Anne Stallybrass, checkcompany.co.uk; accessed 15 June 2016.
- Jacqueline A. Stallybruss (sic) birth was registered in the first quarter of 1939 (Jan-Feb-March 1939), which indicates a birthdate in late 1938 or early 1939 as births are not registered immediately.
Mother's Maiden Surname: Peacock
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1939
Registration district: Rochford
Inferred County: Essex, Suffolk
Volume Number: 4a
Page Number: 1118
Ancestry.com. England & Wales, Birth Index, 1916-2005 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008. Original data: General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office.
-  Stallybrass genealogy site; accessed 19 January 2014.
- Stuart Jeffries Obituary: Peter Gilmore obituary, guardian.co.uk, 6 February 2013; accessed 19 January 2014.
- Anne Stallybrass at the Internet Movie Database
- Site dedicated to the actors Anne Stallybrass and Peter Gilmore, gilmore-stallybrass.eu; accessed 31 July 2015.