Washburn in 2015
|Alma mater||Reed College,
New York University
Anne Washburn is an American playwright.
Her plays have been produced in New York City by Cherry Lane Theatre, Clubbed Thumb, The Civilians, Vineyard Theatre, Dixon Place, and Soho Repertory Theatre—and elsewhere by American Repertory Theater, Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company, New Jersey's Two River Theater Company, Washington DC's Studio Theater, and London's Gate Theatre and Almeida Theatre.
Her 2012 play Mr. Burns, a Post-Electric Play received a Drama League Award nomination for Outstanding Production and was praised by the New York Times as "downright brilliant." Her play A Devil at Noon was featured at the 2011 Humana Festival of New American Plays and the play Sleep Rock Thy Brain—written with Rinne Groff and Lucas Hnath—was featured at the 2013 Festival. In 2015, 10 Out of 12 played at the Soho Rep theater.
Awards and honors
- 2007 Guggenheim fellowship
- 2015 Whiting Award
- 2015 PEN/Laura Pels Award, American Playwright in Mid-Career
- 2016 Herb Alpert Award in the Arts in Theatre http://herbalpertawards.org/artist/2016/anne-washburn
- 2018 Little Bunny Foo Foo
- 2016 Antlia Pneumatica
- 2015 Iphigenia in Aulis, a transadaptation, based on Euripides' Iphigenia in Aulis
- 2015 10 Out of 12
- 2012 Mr. Burns, a Post-Electric Play
- 2011 A Devil at Noon
- 2010 The Small
- 2010 Orestes, a transadaptation, based on Euripides' Orestes
- 2008 October/November
- 2006 I Have Loved Strangers
- 2004 The Internationalist
- 2004 The Ladies
- 2003 Apparition
- 2001 The Communist Dracula Pageant
- 1999 Everything Not Forbidden Is Permitted (Or Vice Versa)
- 1998 Refreshment of the Spirit
- "The Electric Mr. Burns". Reed Magazine. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Whiting Foundation: 2015 Whiting Award winners
- Actors Theater of Louisville: Anne Washburn
- New Dramatists
- Brantley, Ben (2013-09-15). "'Mr. Burns, a Post-Electric Play,' at Playwrights Horizons". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- Actors Theatre of Louisville: Sleep Rock Thy Brain, slated to Premiere during the 37th Annual Humana Festival
- Soloski, Alexis (2015-05-29). "Anne Washburn Brings Backstage Drama to Center Stage in '10 Out of 12'". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- 13p (Thirteen Playwrights, Inc.)
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation: Anne Washburn
- Carolyn Kellogg (May 13, 2015). "PEN announces award-winners and shortlists". LA Times. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "2015 PEN Literary Award Winners". pen.org. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
|Interview with Anne Washburn on Mr. Burns, a post-electric play, Playwrights Horizons, August 30, 2013|