As Anne Weying:|
The Amazing Spider-Man #375 (March 1993)
Venom: Sinner Takes All #2 (September 1995; cameo appearance)
Venom: Sinner Takes All #3 (October 1995; full appearance)
Ann Weying: |
|Alter ego||Ann Weying|
|Notable aliases||Anne Brock|
She-Venom first made a cameo appearance in Venom: Sinner Takes All #2 (September 1995) and her first full appearance was in Venom: Sinner Takes All #3 (October 1995), and was created by writer Larry Hama and artist Greg Luzniak.
Fictional character biography
In Ann Weying's first appearance, she is a brunette with glasses. In later appearances, she loses the glasses and goes blonde.
Ann was a successful lawyer, and Eddie Brock's ex-wife. Weying assisted Spider-Man by sharing some of Eddie's history. Later, she followed Spider-Man to the amusement park where Venom had Peter Parker's (fake) parents. She confronted her insane ex-husband, and managed to convince Eddie to give up this vendetta. Later, Sin-Eater shot Ann who became She-Venom when the Venom symbiote temporarily bonded with her to save her life. She-Venom then lashed out against the men who had hurt her with such violence that Eddie became afraid for her (and of her) and compelled the symbiote back. Ann retched upon seeing the pile of bodies she had left behind. She claimed that the symbiote made her kill, but Eddie told her that the symbiote wouldn't force its host to do something they did not want to. Later, the police incarcerated Ann on a false charge (unrelated to Ann's rampage above) in order to trap Venom. Ann used her one phone call to warn Eddie and to promise not to come. Eddie promised that himself (Eddie) wouldn't come to save her and instead sent the "Other" (the symbiote) through the phone lines to her. After it bonded with her, She-Venom was able to break herself out of prison, heading to the amusement park where she and Spider-Man had confronted Venom, only to intercept a raid on a gang of drug dealers. During the fight, Eddie was badly injured by a flamethrower, prompting Anne to release the symbiote to heal, but left Eddie in disgust at dependence on the symbiote.
Weying committed suicide after spotting Spider-Man webslinging in an older black costume at a time when the regular red and blue suit had been stolen. Ann, still reeling from the experience of bonding with the symbiote months earlier and unable to deal with Eddie's return into her life—coupled with Brock's transformation directly in front of her as Venom ran off to kill Spider-Man—sent her over the edge, and she leapt from her high rise apartment to her death. Her death is later confirmed when her tombstone is shown.
During the Secret Wars storyline taking place in King James' England (which is based off the Marvel 1602 reality), Anne Weying is a "village beauty" who is brainwashed by printer's apprentice Edwin Brocc into loving with powers and potions supplied by the Enchantress. Anne is freed after Brocc is slain by Angela.
In other media
- The viral marketing for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) includes Daily Bugle articles that make reference to Anne Weying being the defense attorney appointed to Curt Connors. Anne failed to sway the jury to her side and Connors was sent to Ryker's Island.
- Ann Weying appears in the 2018 film Venom, portrayed by Michelle Williams. She is the fiancée of Eddie Brock and a lawyer for the Life Foundation. Anne is fired by her firm after Eddie reads her email for confidential information to confront Carlton Drake regarding the information, breaking up with Brock and later has a relationship with Dr. Dan Lewis. After the Venom symbiote separates from Eddie and bonds with a dog, Anne transforms into She-Venom, saving Brock and killing Roland Treece. She-Venom kisses Eddie, enabling the Venom symbiote getting transferred back to Brock. Later when Riot overpowers Venom, Anne uses high frequency volume controls in the Life Foundation's lab on a loudspeaker which results in the both hosts being separated from their respective symbiotes. In the end, Anne comes in good terms with Eddie and both share their experiences with the Venom symbiote.
- Venom: Sinner Takes All #2
- Venom: Sinner Takes All #3
- Venom: Along Came A Spider #2
- Venom: Along Came A Spider #3
- Venom: Along Came A Spider #4
- Amazing Spider-Man vol. 2 #19
- The Amazing Spider-Man #22 (October 2000)
- Kieron Gillen and Marguerite Bennett (w), Irene Koh and Stephanie Hans (p), Irene Koh and Stephanie Hans (i), Jordie Bellaire (col), VC's Clayton Cowles (let), Wil Moss (ed). "Part Two, In Which All the World's a Stage and the Guardians Overthrow the Players" 1602: Witch Hunter Angela #2 (29 July 2015), United States: Marvel Comics
- "Cold-Blooded Killer". thedailybugle.tumblr.com. Tumblr. 23 October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Connors Found Guilty". thedailybugle.tumblr.com. Tumblr. 6 January 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Dumaraog, Ana (December 18, 2017). "Michelle Williams Is Definitely Playing Anne Weying in Venom". Screen Rant. Archived from the original on December 18, 2017. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Chattaway, Nathan (2004). "Comics: Spider-Man: Venom's Wrath". spiderfan.org. SpiderFan. Retrieved 30 July 2015.