Wojcicki at GES 2016
|Born||July 28, 1973|
San Mateo County, California, U.S.
|Residence||Los Altos Hills, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Known for||Co-founder and CEO of 23andMe|
|Spouse(s)||Sergey Brin (2007–2015)|
|Relatives||Susan Wojcicki (sister)|
Janet Wojcicki (sister)
Wojcicki, the youngest of three daughters, was born in San Mateo County, California. Her parents are Esther Wojcicki (née Hochman), an educator, and Stanley Wojcicki, a physics professor emeritus at Stanford University. Her mother is Jewish American, and her father is Polish. Her two sisters are Susan Wojcicki, CEO of YouTube and a former executive at Google and Janet Wojcicki, anthropologist and epidemiologist at the University of California, San Francisco.
Wojcicki grew up on the Stanford campus. When she was two, she learned how to figure skate, but later quit and started playing ice hockey. She attended Gunn High School in Palo Alto, California, and was an editor for The Oracle, the school newspaper, and won a scholarship for her sports stories. She attended Yale University, where she was a competitive ice skater and played on the varsity women's ice hockey team. She graduated with a B.S. in biology in 1996. She did molecular biology research at the National Institutes of Health and the University of California, San Diego.
After graduating, Wojcicki worked as a health care consultant at Passport Capital, a San Francisco-based investment fund and at Investor AB. She was a health care investment analyst for 4 years, overseeing health care investments, focusing on biotechnology companies. Disillusioned by the culture of Wall Street and its attitude towards health care, she quit in 2000, intending to take the MCAT and enroll in medical school. Instead, she decided to focus on research.
In 2006, she co-founded 23andMe with Linda Avey. 23andMe is a privately held personal genomics and biotechnology company, based in Mountain View, California, that provides genetic testing. The company is named for the 23 pairs of chromosomes in a normal human cell. The company's personal genome test kit was named "Invention of the Year" by Time magazine in 2008.
Wojcicki is also a member of the Xconomists, an ad hoc team of editorial advisors for the tech news and media company, Xconomy. In October 2013, Fast Company named Wojcicki "The Most Daring CEO".
Wojcicki married Google co-founder Sergey Brin in May 2007. They have a son, Benji Wojin, born in December 2008, and a daughter, Chloe Wojin, born in late 2011. The couple ceased to live together in 2013, and they divorced in 2015.
- on YouTube
- Barry Schwartz (February 27, 2013). "Anne Wojcicki, Google's Co-Founders Wife, On TMZ With Google Glass". Search Engine Roundtable. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
Anne Wojcicki, married to Google's co-founder, Sergey Brin and the sister of Susan Wojcicki, a Google executive...
- Sellers, Patricia (February 1, 2012). "Before Google, the Wojcicki girls learned from Mom". Fortune Magazine. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Murphy, Elizabeth (October 14, 2013). "INSIDE 23ANDME FOUNDER ANNE WOJCICKI'S $99 DNA REVOLUTION". The Fast Company. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Duke, Scott (May 16, 2007). "Google co-founder Sergey Brin gets hitched in the Bahamas". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Hafner, Katie (May 29, 2007). "Silicon Valley Wide-Eyed Over a Bride". The New York Times. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
Anne Wojcicki, the 33-year-old former health care investment analyst who this month married a handsome young computer scientist..
- "100 Marathons' Worth of Miles Awaits Sam Fox '09 in Charitable Effort for Parkinson's". August 4, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- 23andMe. "board members". Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- Cha, Ariana Eunjung (June 27, 2014). "23andMe co-founder Anne Wojcicki's Washington charm offensive". The Washington Post. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- 23andMe. "corporate info". Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Fact Sheet". 23andme.com. Retrieved January 25, 2014.
- Hamilton, Anita (October 29, 2008). "Best Inventions of 2008". Content Time. Retrieved January 25, 2014.
- "About Our Mission, Team, and Editorial Ethics". Xconomy. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- 23andMe (October 19, 2013). "CEO Anne Wojcicki named "The Most Daring CEO in America" by @FastCompany Read the cover story". Twitter. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- Welch, Liz (May 29, 2012). "The Way I Work: Anne Wojcicki, 23andMe". Inc.
- Gannes, Liz (August 28, 2013). "Google Co-Founder Sergey Brin and 23andMe Co-Founder Anne Wojcicki Have Split". All Things Digital.
- Lorenzetti, Laura (2015-06-24). "Google's Sergey Brin and 23andMe's Anne Wojcicki legally divorced". Fortune. Retrieved 25 June 2015.