A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (April 2020)
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly|
from the 33rd district
|Assumed office |
January 12, 2016
Serving with Raj Mukherji
|Preceded by||Carmelo Garcia|
|Born||October 8, 1967|
|Alma mater||Hoboken High School|
|Website||Legislative web page|
Annette Chaparro (born October 8, 1967) is an American Democratic Party politician who has represented the 33rd Legislative District in the New Jersey General Assembly since she was sworn into office on January 12, 2016. Chapparo has served in the Assembly as Deputy Speaker Pro Tempore since 2022.
New Jersey Assembly
After the local Democratic Party decided to keep Assemblyman Carmelo Garcia off the primary ballot, a deal was reached in March 2015 between Senator Brian P. Stack, who is the mayor of Union City, and Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer to nominate Chaparro to replace Garcia on the ballot.
In the 2018-2019 legislative session, Chaparro was primary sponsor on the following bills signed into law:
- A-1428 Requires Department of Education to develop guidelines for school districts concerning child trafficking awareness and prevention.
- A-5002 Permits certain planned real estate developments to file certain liens; concerns limited priority of certain liens.
- AJR-122 Designates September 20 of each year as Hispanic Journalist Pride Day.
Committee assignments for the current session are:
- Law and Public Safety, Vice-Chair
- Tourism, Gaming and the Arts, Vice-Chair
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The representatives from the 33rd District for the 2022—23 Legislative Session are:
- Assemblywoman Annette Chaparro, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 30, 2022.
- Brush, Chase. "Democratic leaders said to have found a suitable replacement for Garcia in LD33", The New York Observer, March 4, 2015. Accessed August 23, 2016. "But in the last several weeks, those familiar with the backroom deliberations say Stack and Zimmer have reached an agreement. Annette Chaparro, a longtime Hoboken resident and employee of city hall, is in line as Zimmer's choice to fill Garcia's Assembly seat in the party's June Democratic primary."
- "Bill View". New Jersey State Legislature. Retrieved April 2, 2020.
- "McKnight, Chaparro, Chiaravalloti & Vainieri Huttle Bill to Help Combat Child Trafficking Signed Into Law". New Jersey Assembly Democrats. Retrieved April 2, 2020.
- New Jersey State Constitution 1947 (Updated Through Amendments Adopted in November, 2020): Article IV, Section II, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 28, 2022.
- Legislative Roster for District 33, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 11, 2022.
- Assemblywoman Chaparro's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- Assemblywoman Chaparro's Assembly Democrats web page
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms