Annette Imhausen (also known as Annette Warner, born June 12, 1970) is a German historian of mathematics known for her work on Ancient Egyptian mathematics. She is a professor in the Normative Orders Cluster of Excellence at Goethe University Frankfurt.
Education and career
Imhausen studied chemistry at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, passing the Staatsexamen in 1996. She completed her doctorate in the history of mathematics at Mainz in 2002 under the joint supervision of David E. Rowe and James Ritter.
After teaching the Coptic language at Mainz in 1998, she worked as an instructor at the University of Cambridge from 2003 to 2006. She returned to Mainz as an assistant professor from 2006 to 2008, and became a professor at Frankfurt in 2009.
Her dissertation, Ägyptische Algorithmen. Eine Untersuchung zu den mittelägyptischen mathematischen Aufgabentexten, was published by Harrassowitz Verlag in 2002 (Ägyptologische Abhandlungen, vol. 65). She is also the author of Mathematics in Ancient Egypt: A Contextual History (Princeton University Press, 2016).
- "Warner (Imhausen), Annette, Prof. Dr.", Normative Orders, Goethe University Frankfurt, retrieved 2018-11-05
- Annette Imhausen at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Annette Imhausen on IMDb
- Reviews of Ägyptische Algorithmen. Eine Untersuchung zu den mittelägyptischen mathematischen Aufgabentexten:
- Depuydt, Leo (October–December 2003), Journal of the American Oriental Society, 123 (4): 877–880, doi:10.2307/3589985
- Gundlach, K.-B. (2004), Mathematical Reviews, MR 1979173
- Robson, Eleanor (2004), "Review" (PDF), Aestimatio: Critical Reviews in the History of Science, 1 (1): 73–79
- Brack-Bernsen, Lis (May 2004), Historia Mathematica, 31 (2): 228–230, doi:10.1016/j.hm.2003.08.005
- Quack, Joachim Friedrich (2005), Die Welt des Orients, 35: 202–204, JSTOR 25684007
- Reviews of Mathematics in Ancient Egypt: A Contextual History:
- Nogueira, Joaquim Eurico Anes Duarte, Mathematical Reviews, MR 3467610
- Jongsma, Calvin (June 2016), "Review", MAA Reviews
- Prince, Clive (January 2017), "Counting like an Egyptian", Magonia Review of Books
- Davis, Kevin (February 2017), The Mathematical Gazette, 101 (550): 163–165, doi:10.1017/mag.2017.31
- Criddle, Alex (May 2017), "Review", Ancient History Encyclopedia
- Cumo, Christopher (July 2017), Canadian Journal of History, 52 (2): 396–398, doi:10.3138/cjh.ach.52.2.rev35
- Moreno-Castillo, Ricardo (July 2017), "Review", European Mathematical Society reviews
- Chrisomalis, Stephen (October 2017), Journal of Near Eastern Studies, 76 (2): 372–375, doi:10.1086/693357
- Rindler, H. (September 2018), Monatshefte für Mathematik, 187 (3): 573–575, doi:10.1007/s00605-018-1220-9