Annie Russell Theatre
Annie Russell Theatre
|Location||Winter Park, Florida|
|Governing body||Rollins College|
|NRHP Reference #||98000863|
|Added to NRHP||July 15, 1998|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Annie Russell Theatre.|
The Annie Russell Theatre is a historic theater in Winter Park, Florida, United States. The theatre was named after the English-born actress Annie Russell. It was designed by the German-born architect Richard Kiehnel of Kiehnel and Elliott and constructed in 1931. It is located on the premises of Rollins College. On July 15, 1998, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Russell emigrated to the United States when at an early age. After a lengthy acting career in New York, she relocated to New Jersey when she retired, however quickly changed her mind and moved to Winter Park in 1923. Shortly thereafter, she began teaching at Rollins College, continuing to do so until she died of lung disease in 1936.
The theatre is rumored to be haunted. Visitors to the theatre have claimed to have seen a female apparition in the second story changing room. However, due to recent structural modifications, this room can no longer be accessed.|
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Norman, Michael; Beth Scott (2002). "Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories". pp. 87–90. Retrieved 2012-05-16.
- Orange County listings at National Register of Historic Places
- Annie Russell Theatre at Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs
- Winter Park Historical Trail (Archived 2009-10-25) at Historic Hiking Trails (Archived 2009-10-25)
- Annie Russell Theatre at Rollins College Department of Theatre & Dance
- Notable Architects in St. Petersburg - Richard Kiehnel at City of St. Petersburg
|This article about a property in Orange County, Florida on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a specific theater building in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|