Sprinkle in 2005
|Born||Ellen F. Steinberg
July 23, 1954
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|Spouse(s)||Beth Stephens (2002–present)|
Annie M. Sprinkle (born Ellen F. Steinberg on July 23, 1954) is an American sex educator, former prostitute, feminist stripper, pornographic actress, cable television host, porn magazine editor, writer and sex film producer. She received a BFA in photography from the School of Visual Arts in 1986 and earned a doctorate in human sexuality from the Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality in San Francisco in 1992. This institute is accredited in the state of California.  Currently, Sprinkle works as a performance artist and sex educator. Sprinkle, who describes herself as "ecosexual", married her long-time partner, Beth Stephens, in Canada on January 14, 2007.
Life and career
Sprinkle was born in Philadelphia to a Russian-Jewish mother and a Polish-Jewish father. She is known as the "prostitute and porn star turned sex educator and artist." Her best known theater and performance art piece is her Public Cervix Announcement, in which she invites the audience to "celebrate the female body" by viewing her cervix with a speculum and flashlight. She also performed The Legend of the Ancient Sacred Prostitute, in which she did a "sex magic" masturbation ritual on stage. She has toured one-woman shows internationally for 17 years, some of which were are titled Post Porn Modernist, Annie Sprinkle's Herstory of Porn, Hardcore from the Heart, and Exposed; Experiments in Love, Sex, Death and Art.
Her work and publications, spanning almost four decades, are studied in courses at numerous universities, in theater history, women's studies, and film studies courses. She also is a faculty member at the Oakland, California-based The New School of Erotic Touch.
Annie Sprinkle began working at the ticket booth at Tucson's Plaza Cinema at 18, when Deep Throat was playing. The film was busted, and when Sprinkle had to appear in court as a witness, she met and fell in love with Deep Throat's director, Gerard Damiano, and became his mistress, following him to New York City where she lived for twenty years. Annie's first porn movie was Teenage Deviate, which was released in 1975. Perhaps her best known mainstream porn featured role was in Deep Inside Annie Sprinkle (co-directed by Sprinkle and sexploitation veteran Joseph W. Sarno) which was the No. 2 grossing porn film of 1981.
In 1991, Sprinkle created the Sluts and Goddesses workshop, which became the basis for her 1992 production The Sluts and Goddesses Video Workshop – Or How To Be A Sex Goddess in 101 Easy Steps, which was co-produced and co-directed with videographer Maria Beatty, and featured music by composer Pauline Oliveros. Sprinkle pioneered new genres of sexually explicit film and video such as edu-porn, gonzo, post porn, xxx docudrama, art porn, and feminist erotica. Sprinkle has also presented many sex workshops with fellow sex facilitator Barbara Carrellas, with whom she presented the stage production Metamorphosex.
She starred in Nick Zedd's experimental films War Is Menstrual Envy (1992), Ecstasy in Entropy (1999), and Electra Elf: The Beginning (2005).
She has appeared in almost 200 films, including hard- and softcore pornography, B movies, loops, numerous documentaries, various TV shows including four HBO Real Sex programs. She has produced, directed, and starred in several of her own films, such as Annie Sprinkle's Herstory of Porn, "Annie Sprinkle's Amazing World of Orgasm, and "Linda/Les & Annie—The First Female to Male Transsexual Love Story". These films played in hundreds of film festivals, in museums and galleries. Her work in adult films has earned her a spot on the Adult Star Path of Fame in Edison, New Jersey, she's in the AVN Hall of Fame, the XRCO Hall of Fame. For three decades she has presented her work as a visiting artist at many major universities and colleges in the USA and Europe. Currently her lecture presentation is called "My Life and Work as a Feminist Porn Activist, Radical Sex Educator, and Ecosexual." She also has done dozens of "Free Sidewalk Sex Clinics," offering free sex education to the public in public space.
Sprinkle's work has always been about sexuality, with a political, spiritual, and artistic bent. In December 2005, she committed to doing seven years of art projects about love with her wife and art collaborator, Beth Stephens. They call this their Love Art Laboratory. Part of their project was to do an experimental art wedding each year, and each year had a different theme and color. The seven-year structure was adapted to their project by invitation of artist Linda M. Montano. Sprinkle and Stephens have done fifteen art weddings, eleven with ecosexual themes. They married the Earth, Sky, Sea, Moon, Appalachian Mountains and the Sun in six different countries.
Sprinkle and her partner Beth Stephens are pioneers of Ecosexuality, a kind of earth loving sexual identity, which states, “The Earth is our lover.” The Ecosex Manifesto proclaims that not everyone must identify solely as Ecosexual, but “…Ecosexuals can be GLBTQI, heterosexual, asexual, and/or Other.”
Sprinkle has also long championed sex worker rights and health care. She has also worked as a prostitute.
Sprinkle identifies as a sex-positive feminist, and much of her activist and sex education work reflects this philosophy. In 2009, she appeared in the French documentary film Mutantes: Punk, Porn, Feminism, speaking about the beginnings of the movement as well as her own contributions to it.
Steinberg first gave herself the name "Annie" when she started working in pornography. As her career continued she had an epiphany one night and she says "as if from the goddess herself" the name Annie Sprinkle came to her. She thought the name appropriate because "I was attracted by the sprinkles over ice cones (I am a bit of a sugaraholic!) and I love waterfalls, urine, vaginal fluids, sweat, anything wet. So the name 'Annie Sprinkle' seemed perfect."
- Sprinkle, A. "Beyond Bisexual", in Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out. Alyson Publications 1991. ISBN 1-55583-174-5
- Sprinkle, A. Dr. Sprinkle's Spectacular Sex—Make Over Your Love Life with One of the Worlds Greatest Sex Experts. Tarcher/Penguin 2005. ISBN 1-58542-412-9
- Sprinkle, A. Hardcore from the Heart—The Pleasures, Profits and Politics of Sex in Performance. Continuum International Publishing Group 2001 ISBN 0-8264-4893-3
- Sprinkle, A. Post-porn modernist: my 25 years as a multimedia whore. Cleis Press, 1998. ISBN 1-57344-039-6
- Sprinkle, A. XXXOOO: Love and Kisses from Annie Sprinkle. Gates of Heck, 1997 ISBN 978-1889539003
- Sprinkle, A. Annie Sprinkle’s Post-Modern Pin-Ups: Pleasure Activist Playing Cards. Gates of Heck, 1995. ISBN 978-0963812933
- Sprinkle, A. Love VIbration Kawade Shobo Shinsha, 1996 ISBN 978-4309262840
- Sprinkle, A. & Vera, V. Annie Sprinkle's ABC Study of Sexual Lust and Deviations Radio Art Publications, 1983 ASIN B007RZ7JCI
- Heidenry, John. What Wild Ecstasy. The Rise and Fall of the Sexual Revolution. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1997. Reviewed by Robert Christgau in The New York Times, April 27, 1997.
- Sprinkle, A. Foreword in Carrellas, Barbara Urban Tantra: Sacred Sex for the Twenty-First Century , Berkeley, California: Celestial Arts, 2007. ISBN 978-1587612909
- Sprinkle, A. Foreword in Sundahl, D. Female Ejaculation and the G-Spot, Almeda, California: Hunter House Publishers, 2014, ISBN 978-0897937023
- Sprinkle, A. & Jong, E. Pees on Earth, Brooklyn, New York: powerHouse Books, 2006, ISBN 978-1576873175
- Sprinkle, A. "Contributor" in Webb, S Tattooed Women, Unknown: R. Mutt Press, 1982, ASIN B00104J2SQ
- Sprinkle, A. The Kinky World of Annie Sprinkle, Unknown: Hudson Communications, 1985, ASIN B005JRVWB0
|Film and TV credits|
|2013||Goodbye Gauley Mountain: an Ecosexual Love Story (Video)|
|2012||Lesbian Sex Education: Female Ejaculation (Video)|
|2009||Mutantes: Punk, Porn, Feminism|
|2005||Electra Elf: The Beginning Parts One & Two|
|2005||The Keep (Short)|
|1999||Ecstasy in Entropy (Short)|
|1997||The Fanny (Video)|
|1992||Pinned and Smothered (Video)|
|1992||War Is Menstrual Envy|
|1991||Mature Women 2 (Video)|
|1991||Shadows in the City||Ex-Girlfriend|
|1991||My Father Is Coming||Annie|
|1990||The Golden Boat||Waitress|
|1989||Young Nurses in Love||Twin Falls|
|1988||Bazooka County (Video)|
|1988||Dreams of Desire|
|1988||Hotter Than July|
|1988||The Horneymooners (Video)||Jane Norris|
|1988||Tattoo Vampire (Video)|
|1987||Rites of Passion|
|1987||She Comes in Colors|
|1987||She-Male Encounters 5: Orgy at the Poysinberry Bar|
|1987||The Lingerie Shop|
|1986||Wimps (Video)||Head Stripper|
|1984||Electric Blue 12 (Video)||Shelly|
|1984||Throat... 12 Years After||The Sewer Mother|
|1983||Big Busty 3 (Video)|
|1983||Kneel Before Me||Wife / Justine (as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1983||Oriental Techniques in Pain and Pleasure||Annie (as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1982||Night on the Town|
|1981||Pandora's Mirror||The Queen of the Club (as Miss Annie Sprinkle)|
|1981||Twilite Pink||Prostitute (as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1980||Midnight Blue 2|
|1980||The Satisfiers of Alpha Blue||Satisfier|
|1979||For Richer for Poorer||Party Guest (uncredited)|
|1979||Jack n' Jill||First Caller|
|1978||The Ganja Express||Sherry Herring|
|1977||Unwilling Lovers||Hooker with Stole (as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1977||Cherry Hustlers||Sprink (uncredited)|
|1977||The Devil Inside Her||Orgy Girl (as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1976||Come with Me My Love||Tess Albertino|
|1976||The Affairs of Janice||Susan (uncredited)|
|1976||Call Me Angel, Sir||Tracy Dixon|
|1976||The Double Exposure of Holly||Muff (as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1976||Slippery When Wet||Stella Wilkins (as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1976||Bang Bang You Got It!||Rhoda Thomas|
|1976||My Erotic Fantasies||Russian Porn Actress|
|1976||Seduction||Girl at bridge party No. 1|
|1976||The Night of Submission||Editor's Mistress|
|1976||Teenage Cover Girls||Anne Sands (as Anne Sands)|
|1976||Once Over Nightly|
|1976||Expose Me, Lovely||Robin (as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1976||Ecstasy in Blue||Hentai|
|1976||Teenage Deviate||Ella (as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1976||Honey Pie||Blow Job Annie (as Ann Sprinkle)|
|1975||Satan Was a Lady||Terry (as Anny Sands)|
|1975||French Shampoo (Homage to W. B.)||Little Mary|
|1975||Too Hot to Handle||Ellen (as Annie Sands)|
|1975||Kathy's Graduation Present||Anita (uncredited)|
|1975||Teenage Masseuse||(as Annie Sprinkles)|
|1975||The American Andventures of Surelick Holmes||Stewardess (uncredited)|
|1975||My Master My Love||Margaret's Brunette Client (as Annie Sands)|
|1975||Sue Prentiss R.N.||First Nurse (uncredited)|
|1975||Blow Some My Way||B.J.|
- Sex-positive feminism
- International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers
- Feminist strippers
- Mineshaft (gay club)
- Czekay, Angelika (Spring 1993). "Distance and Empathy: Constructing the Spectator of Annie Sprinkle's Post-POST PORN MODERNIST—Still in Search of the Ultimate Sexual Experience". Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism.
Today, after seventeen years in the porn industry, ex-sex worker Annie Sprinkle is a performance artist. In her recent performance piece "Post-Post Porn Modernist Still in Search of the Ultimate Sexual Experience," Sprinkle talks about her life as a former porn star and ex-prostitute.
- Williams, Linda (Winter 1993). "A Provoking Agent: The Pornography and Performance Art of Annie Sprinkle". Social Text (Duke University Press) (37): 117–133.
Beginning her professional performance career as a masseuse, soon after becoming a whore, Sprinkle next expanded into burlesque and live sex shows, then to writing for sex magazines and performing in pornographic films and videos (where she eventually became a director).
- Smith, Tyler Stoddard (July 18, 2012). Whore Stories: A Revealing History of the World's Oldest Profession. Adams Media. pp. 98–99.
- Brown, David J.; Novick, Rebecca McClen; Garcia, Jerry (1995). Voices from the Edge: conversations with Jerry Garcia, Ram Dass, Annie Sprinkle, Matthew Fox, Jaron Lanier, & others. Crossing Press. ISBN 978-0-89594-732-1.
- "Toronto Life: Double Exposure". Archived from the original on February 16, 2012.
- "[Annie Sprinkle on Shtetl]". Shtetl: Your Alternative Jewish Magazine. February 21, 2010.
- Menon, Rekha (May 1, 2010). Seductive aesthetics of postcolonialism. Hampton Press. p. 51.
How can one miss, the Sex Goddess, Annie Sprinkle (the postporn modern artist), Tantric inspired cosmic Kali, Sprinkle as the Neo Sacred Prostitute/Goddess. She is known as the prostitute and porn star turned sex educator and artist. Sprinle's work has always been about sexuality, with a political, spiritual, and artistic bent.
- Kapsalis, Terri (1997). Public Privates: Performing Gynecology from Both Ends of the Speculum. Duke University Press. pp. 113–134.
- General Books LLC (2010). Sex Worker Activists: Annie Sprinkle, Nina Hartley, Carol Queen, Margo St. James, Susie Bright, Tracy Quan, Wendy Babcock, Robyn Few. General Books LLC. ISBN 9781155643083.
- Rees, Emma L. E. (August 1, 2013). The Vagina: A Literary and Cultural History. A & C Black.
- Bond, Lawrence & Ellen Evert Hopman (1996) People of the Earth: The New Pagans Speak Out (reissued as Being a Pagan: Druids, Wiccans & Witches Today in 2002 Destiny Books ISBN 0-89281-904-9) Interview.
- Vitzthum, V. Annie Sprinkle swims forward. Salon.com, 2000.
- Annie Sprinkle: The Early Years, audio podcast interview, The Rialto Report, April 7, 2013
- Little, Reg (June 18, 2009). "Iffley and the former porn star". Oxford Times. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Benn, D. Annie Sprinkle on the Adult Star Path of Fame: 43 Stars Laid in New Jersey. Porno News Network, 2006.
- "Ecosex Manifesto". Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- Reading, Writing, and Rewriting the Prostitute Body – Shannon Bell – Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- "Mutantes at IMDb". Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- Redaction. "Annie Sprinkle". Miradas (in Spanish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Annie Sprinkle.|
- Annie Sprinkle's official website
- Annie's Love Art Laboratory website
- Annie teaches vulva massage and masturbation at The New School of Erotic Touch
- Annie Sprinkle's artworks presented by aeroplastics contemporary, Brussels
- Annie Sprinkle: The Early Years audio podcast interview, The Rialto Report, April 7, 2013
- Documenting the Orgasm: An Interview With Post-porn Modernist and Feminist Art Teacher, Annie Sprinkle by Gary Morris, LiP Magazine: 2002.
- How Psychedelics Informed My Sex Life and Sex Work
- on YouTube
- Annie Sprinkle at the Internet Movie Database
- Annie Sprinkle at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Annie Sprinkle at the Adult Film Database