Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics
|Edited by||Robert C. Kennicutt|
Ewine F. van Dishoeck
|History||1963–present, 57 years old|
Annual Reviews (US)
|ISO 4||Annu. Rev. Astron. Astrophys.|
The Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics is an annual peer reviewed scientific journal published by Annual Reviews. The editors-in-chief are Ewine van Dishoeck and Robert C. Kennicutt. The journal reviews scientific literature pertaining to local and distant celestial entities throughout the observable universe, as well as cosmology, instrumentation, techniques, and the history of developments. It was established in 1963.
In November of 1960, the board of directors of the nonprofit publisher Annual Reviews began investigating the need for a new journal of review articles that covered developments in astronomy and astrophysics. The board consulted an advisory group of experts, including Ronald Bracewell, Robert Jastrow, Joseph Kaplan, Paul Merrill, Otto Struve, and Harold Urey. The editorial committee met in August 1961 to determine the authors and topics for the first volume, which was published in 1963. As of 2020, it was published both in print and electronically.
It defines its scope as covering significant developments in astronomy and astrophysics, including the Sun, the Solar System, exoplanets, stars, the interstellar medium, the Milky Way and other galaxies, galactic nuclei, cosmology, and the instrumentation and techniques used for research and analysis. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2019 impact factor of 32.963, ranking it first out of 68 journals in the category "Astronomy and Astrophysics". It is abstracted and indexed in Scopus, Science Citation Index Expanded, Civil Engineering Abstracts, Inspec, and Academic Search, among others.
The Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics is helmed by the editor or the co-editors. The editor is assisted by the editorial committee, which includes associate editors, regular members, and occasionally guest editors. Guest members participate at the invitation of the editor, and serve terms of one year. All other members of the editorial committee are appointed by the Annual Reviews board of directors and serve five-year terms. The editorial committee determines which topics should be included in each volume and solicits reviews from qualified authors. Unsolicited manuscripts are not accepted. Peer review of accepted manuscripts is undertaken by the editorial committee.
List of editors
- Leo Goldberg (1963–1973)
- Geoffrey Burbidge (1974–2004)
- Roger Blandford (2005–2009)
- Ewine van Dishoeck and Sandra Faber (2010–2019)
- Ewine van Dishoeck and Robert C. Kennicutt (2020–present)
- "Journal Impact Factors". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "Our Team". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "Preface by The Editorial Committee". Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics. 1 (1). 1963-09-01. doi:10.1146/annurev.aa.1.010163.100001. ISSN 0066-4146.
- "Expected Publication Dates". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- "Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- "Astronomy and Astrophysics". MIAR. Retrieved 18 November 2020.
- "Editorial Principles and Policies". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 24 November 2020.
- "Information for Unsolicited Authors and Reviewers". Annual Reviews. Retrieved 24 November 2020.
- Goldberg, Leo (1973). "Preface by The Editor". Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics. 11 (1): annurev.aa.11.010173.100001. doi:10.1146/annurev.aa.11.010173.100001. ISSN 0066-4146.
- "Preface". Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics. 43 (1): annurev.aa.43.080505.100001. 2005. doi:10.1146/annurev.aa.43.080505.100001. ISSN 0066-4146.
- "Preface". Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics. 47 (1): annurev.aa.47.082009.100001. 2009. doi:10.1146/annurev.aa.47.082009.100001. ISSN 0066-4146.
- van Dishoeck, Ewine F.; Kennicutt, Robert C. (2020-08-18). "Introduction". Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics. 58 (1): v–vii. doi:10.1146/annurev-aa-58-081420-100001. ISSN 0066-4146.