General view of Ano Syros
|Administrative region||South Aegean|
|• Municipal unit||67.0 km2 (25.9 sq mi)|
|• Municipal unit||3,877|
|• Municipal unit density||58/km2 (150/sq mi)|
|• Population||2,133 (2011)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Ano Syros (Greek: Άνω Σύρος, “Upper Syros”) is a town and a former municipality on the island of Syros, in the Cyclades, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Syros-Ermoupoli, of which it is a municipal unit. The municipal unit includes the uninhabited islands Gyaros (lying to the northwest of Syros) and Varvaroúsa. Population 3,877 (2011 census); land area 67.014 square kilometres (25.874 square miles). The municipal unit shares the island of Sýros with the municipal units of Ermoupoli and Poseidonia.
Ano Syros is the medieval settlement of Syros. It is built during later Byzantine era or early Frankokratia. It is a classical cycladic medieval settlement that is densely built with narrow roads, circular order and a radial street plan. The overall effect reminds a fortified citadel. Ano Syros is inhabited by Catholic Greeks. The reason for it is the long period of Frankokratia in Syros that started immediately after the fourth crusade. Frankokratia ended during 16th century but the Catholics of Syros came under France protection and the catholic religion survived in the island. After founding of nearby Hermoupolis, Ano Syros ceased to be the administrative centre of Syros. Nevertheless, the settlement remained a religious centre since it is the seat of Roman Catholic Diocese of Syros and Milos.
Places of interest
- Church of Saint George: The church is built in the top of the hill of Ano Syros. It was originally built in 1208 but has been destroyed three times since and has been rebuilt.
- Capuchin monastery: It is a catholic monastery that was founded in 1637.
- Vamvakaris museum: It is a museum dedicated to Markos Vamvakaris
Twin towns — sister cities
Ano Syros is twinned with:
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (in Greek)
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-21.
- "Syros". Foundation of the Hellenic world. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Ano Syros". hermoupolis.gr. Archived from the original on 15 January 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Ιστορία Άνω Σύρου". teipir.gr. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Μοναχικά τάγματα και ιερές μονές". cathecclesia.gr. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Twinnings" (PDF). Central Union of Municipalities & Communities of Greece. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ano Syros.|
- Official website (in Greek)
|This South Aegean location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|