Another Cinderella Story
|Another Cinderella Story|
|Directed by||Damon Santostefano|
|Produced by||Dylan Sellers|
|Written by||Erik Patterson
|Based on||Characters created
by Leigh Dunlap
|Music by||John Paesano|
|Edited by||Tony Lombardo|
|Distributed by||Warner Premiere|
Another Cinderella Story is a 2008 teen romantic comedy musical dance film directed by Damon Santostefano, starring Selena Gomez, Drew Seeley and Jane Lynch and a sequel to the 2004 film A Cinderella Story. The film was released on DVD on September 16, 2008.
This film is a retelling of the Cinderella fairy tale in a modern setting with Mary Santiago, a high school student with ambitions of becoming a dancer, taking the role of Cinderella. Tami, Mary's only friend serves as the fairy godmother. The cruel, self-obsessed, snobby, and washed-up pop singer Dominique Blatt takes the role of the stepmother, even though she is just her legal guardian and Mary's mother was one of Dominique's dancers when she died; Dominique took Mary in as her legal guardian and made her her slave. The aggressive, extremely obsessed, and equally snobby Britt and air-headed Bree serve as the two stepsisters, and Joey Parker, now a famous celebrity and pop star has returned to school for his senior year and to remember why he started dancing, acts as Prince Charming. A school dance substitutes for the ball, with the role of the glass slipper filled by a Zune.
- Selena Gomez as Mary Santiago
- Nicole Muñoz as Young Mary (age 11)
- Drew Seeley as Joey Parker
- Jane Lynch as Dominique Blatt
- Emily Perkins as Britt Blatt
- Katharine Isabelle as Bree Blatt
- Jessica Parker Kennedy as Tami
- Marcus T. Paulk as Dustin/The Funk
- Nicole LaPlaca as Natalia Faroush
- Lynda Boyd as Evie Parker
- Garwin Sanford as Rod Parker
- Colin Foo as Lee-Ha
- Camille Mitchell as Regina Cretikos
- Tiffany Burns as Doreen Smithe
Amber Wilkinson of Eye for Film gave the film, four out of five stars and praised the musical aspects, saying that "the song and dance numbers are so well-handled and catchy, it's a shame there aren't more of them." However, she also said that the "characters are so wafer thin they barely cast a shadow." While Wilkinson says that the film is completely different from A Cinderella Story, Lacey Walker, reviewing for Christian Answers, notes several aspects of the two films that were directly parallel to each other. Walker also gave it three out of five stars, praising the script, saying the writers "peppered this story with a surprising dose of humor and some pleasing plot twists." However, Walker specifically criticized the "glaringly obvious" age difference between the 15-year-old Gomez and the 25-year-old Seeley.
- "Damon Santostefano Brings Us Another Cinderella Story". MovieWeb.
- "Another Cinderella Story Movie Review (2008)". Eye for Film. Retrieved August 4, 2016.
- "Another Cinderella Story Movie Review". christiananswers.net.