Another Day (U2 song)
|Single by U2|
|Released||26 February 1980|
|Studio||Whitfield Street (London)|
|Producer(s)||Chas de Whalley|
|U2 singles chronology|
"Another Day" was recorded by U2 at CBS Studios in London at No. 31-37 Whitfield Street, W1,[Note 1] in December 1979 during a mini-tour of the Capital city, which comprised their first live performances outside of Ireland. It was produced by the CBS talent scout Chas de Whalley.
The B-side is an early version of the song "Twilight", recorded by the band with the sound engineer Dave Freely at the Eamonn Andrews Studios in Dublin in a 15-minute demo session in February 1979, which would later be re-recorded for inclusion on its first album Boy (1980).
The single was released on 26 February 1980 exclusively in Ireland in a small scale pressing but failed to enter the Irish Singles Chart. In 2008, the song was included in the deluxe editions of the reissue of Boy.
The song is known to have been played at six concerts (twice on 11 May 1980, for a total of 7 occasions). Its last known performance was on 27 July 1980 at Leixlip Castle, County Kildare in Ireland.
|2.||"Twilight" (Demo version)||4:35|
- The studio closed and the building was converted into an office block in 2005. http://www.devonshireproperty.co.uk/projects/whitfield_street.php
- Sams, Aaron; Kantas, Harry. "U2 – "Another Day" Single". U2songs.com. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- Entry for 'Another Day' on the online 'Discogs' recording database. https://www.discogs.com/U2-Another/release/952259
- History of the CBS Studio, London. http://www.philsbook.com/cbs-Levys.html
- Entry for CBS Studios, London, on 'Discogs' online database. https://www.discogs.com/label/198769-Whitfield-Street-Recording-Studios
- de Whalley, Chas (September 2004). "Another Time: The Inside Story of U2's Very First Record". Record Collector. No. 301.
- Discography entry at U2songs.com – Comprehensive details on various editions, cover scans, lyrics, and more.
- Another Day's performance history at U2-Vertigo-Tour.com – Lists all concerts at which "Another Day" is known to have been performed.
- Twilight's performance history at U2-Vertigo-Tour.com – Lists all concerts at which "Twilight" is known to have been performed.
- Lyrics of this song