|Studio album by|
|Released||29 August 1977|
|Recorded||June – July 1977|
|Studio||AIR Studios, London|
|Label||Mushroom Records (AUS, NZ), Chrysalis Records (Rest of world)|
|Producer||Geoff Emerick, Split Enz|
|Split Enz chronology|
|New Rolling Stone Record Guide|||
Dizrythmia (1977) is the third studio album released by New Zealand new wave band Split Enz. It was the first Split Enz album without co-founding members Phil Judd and Mike Chunn. Neil Finn and Nigel Griggs, the first being the younger brother of band leader Tim Finn, replaced them respectively. Meanwhile, Nigel's old friend and former bandmate Malcolm Green took the place of Emlyn Crowther, who also left around this time. The album was released domestically by Mushroom Records, and overseas by Chrysalis Records.
The single "My Mistake" was a hit in New Zealand and Australia, but failed to make much impact overseas. "Bold as Brass" was the second single. The album is regarded as the start of the band's breakthrough, and marked a shift from art rock to more pop-oriented songs.
The back cover was originally intended as the front cover. Both were designed by Noel Crombie, who also designed the band's costumes.
Tim Finn coughs forty-four seconds into "Nice to Know", a feature erroneously left in the final mix.
Both Tim Finn and Eddie Rayner were disappointed with the final mix of "Charlie", feeling that the vocals sounded very flat. Geoff Emerick, the engineer for the album, thought it was a beautiful vocal, however, so it stayed.
|1.||"Bold as Brass"||Tim Finn, Robert Gillies||3:31|
|2.||"My Mistake"||Tim Finn, Eddie Rayner||3:02|
|3.||"Parrot Fashion Love"||Tim Finn, Eddie Rayner||3:53|
|4.||"Sugar and Spice"||Phil Judd||3:52|
|5.||"Without a Doubt"||Tim Finn||6:00|
|2.||"Charlie *"||Tim Finn||5:31|
|3.||"Nice to Know"||Tim Finn, Phil Judd, Eddie Rayner||4:24|
|4.||"Jamboree"||Tim Finn, Phil Judd, Eddie Rayner, Noel Crombie, Malcolm Green, Robert Gillies, Mike Chunn||6:43|
|10.||"Another Great Divide"||Phil Judd, Tim Finn, Eddie Rayner||3:37|
* Spelled "Charley" on some releases.
- Timothy Finn – vocals, acoustic guitar, piano
- Neil Finn – vocals, guitars, mandolin
- Edward Rayner – keyboards
- Noel Crombie – vocals, percussion (not credited on sleeve on 2006 remaster)
- Robert Gillies – saxophones, trumpet
- Malcolm Green – drums
- Nigel Griggs – bass
"Another Great Divide" (bonus track on 2006 remaster)
- Timothy Finn – vocals, piano
- Edward Rayner – keyboards
- Noel Crombie – percussion
- Robert Gillies – saxophone
- Malcolm Green - drums
- Phil Judd – vocals, guitar
- Mike Chunn – vocals, bass
- Mal Jacobson – sonor drums and percussion
- All arrangements by Split Enz
- Remastered by Eddie Rayner and Adrian Stuckey at Bignote Studios, Australia, March/April 2006
Certifications and sales
^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.
- Allmusic review
- Marsh, Dave; Swenson, John, eds. (1983). The New Rolling Stone Record Guide. New York: Random House/Rolling Stone Press. p. 480. ISBN 978-0-394-72107-1.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. p. 288. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. Note: Used for Australian Singles and Albums charting from 1970 until ARIA created their own charts in mid-1988.
- "Charts.nz – Split Enz – Dizrythmia". Hung Medien. Retrieved 15 November 2020.
- "Top Selling Albums of 1977 — The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Recorded Music New Zealand. Retrieved 9 November 2021.
- "Split Enz Bio". AllMusic. Retrieved 13 November 2020.