US 12" single
|Single by Prince and The Revolution|
|from the album Parade|
|Released||July 2, 1986|
|Recorded||Sunset Sound; December 16, 1985|
|Prince and The Revolution singles chronology|
"Anotherloverholenyohead" is a 1986 song by Prince and The Revolution, from the album Parade, the soundtrack to the film Under the Cherry Moon. The song is essentially a full band performance by Prince & the Revolution, with backing vocals from Susannah Melvoin, and the horn section of Eric Leeds and Atlanta Bliss. The song also features a string arrangement by Clare Fischer. The song is set in a minor key, and written around a piano chord sequence, although the arrangement emphasizes an upfront guitar synth and a drum machine. The lyrics are about a man trying to reclaim a lover who is intent on leaving him for another. The song's title is a combination of the main idea of the song, and the line "U need another lover like u need a hole in yo head" from the chorus. The single received a 12" extended release with intricate piano work and some dance commands from Prince.
Despite a large amount of publicity provided by its predecessors and the film Under the Cherry Moon, the single stalled at number 63 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US and didn't fare much better in the U.K, where it reached #36.
- Prince — lead vocals and various instruments
- Lisa Coleman — keyboards and vocals
- Wendy Melvoin — guitar and vocals
- Dr. Fink — keyboards
- Brown Mark — bass
- Bobby Z. — drums and percussion
- Susannah Melvoin — backing vocals
- Clare Fischer — orchestral arrangements
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||36|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||36|
|US Billboard Hot 100||63|
- "Prince And The Revolution - Anotherloverholenyohead / Girls & Boys at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Charts.org.nz – Prince & The Revolution – Anotherloverholenyohead". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved May 6, 2016.
- "Prince: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 6, 2016.
- "Prince – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Prince. Retrieved May 6, 2016.