Rohani in 1978
July 24, 1939|
Rasht, Gilan, Iran
|Occupation(s)||Classical pianist, Composer|
Anoushiravan Rohani (Persian: انوشیروان روحانی; born July 24, 1939), also spelled Anooshiravan Rowhani, is an Iranian pianist and composer. His style is contemporary, and he is known for composing and conducting classical, as well as pop music.
Born in Rasht, in the Gilan Province of Iran in 1939, Rohani received music lessons from his father, himself a poet and violinist. His brothers, Shahrdad Rohani, Ardeshir Rohani and Shahriar Rohani are also musicians.
Besides piano, Rohani mastered the electronic organ and accordion. In 1958, Anoushirvan officially began his long collaboration with the National Iranian Radio. Rohani's career includes over 500 compositions that includes numerous vocals, orchestral music, piano pieces and film scores, among them "Soltan-e-Ghalbhaa", "Dele Kuchuloo," and "Gol- e-Sang." His most famous piece, "Tavalodat Mobarak,"(lyrics by Nozar Parang)
When Rohani was nine years old he had his first song broadcast on Iranian National Radio network.
After the Iranian Revolution of 1979, Rohani continued his composing in the Western world, principally based in Los Angeles and Germany, where he recorded albums under the MZM record label.
Rohani worked with orchestras outside of Iran, including the Czech Symphony Orchestra in Prague, which performed the orchestral pieces from his album 'Symphonic Love Melodies.
The albums listed below are from his post-revolutionary compositions:
- King of Hearts ℗ 1968
- Faryaad ℗ 1970 Catapult
- Tavalodet Mobarak (Happy Birthday) ℗ 1972 Catapult
- Soltan e Ghalbha (Emperor of Hearts) [feat. Shahdad Rohani] ℗ 1982 Catapult
- Taraneh-e Saal (with Hayedeh and Moein) ℗ 1985 Catapult
- Yadgar-e Omr 1 (The Reminiscence of Life , Vol 1) ℗ 1992 Catapult
- Yadgar-e Omr 2 (The Reminiscence of Life , Vol 2) ℗ 1993 Catapult
- Bahaneh (with Leila Forouhar) ℗ 1993 Catapult
- Zolfaye Yaaram (with Sima Bina) ℗ 1993
- Oaj-e Seda, with Hayedeh Va Mahasti ℗ 1994 Catapult
- Mohebat ℗ 1994 Catapult
- Rangaarang ℗ 1972 Catapult
- Love Melodies (Symphonic) , (with Czech Symphony Orchestra Prague) ℗ 1997 Catapult
- Scent of Yesterday, Vol 13 ℗ 2009
- Persian Odes (Chakameh-Haye Irani) Persian Old Songs ℗ 2011
- Oud? CDs ℗ 2011
Rohani composed the Persian equivalent of "Happy Birthday to you" entitled "Tavalodet Mobarak" (literally "blessed be your birthday"). It is sung at Persian birthday parties. He dedicated the song to his nephew, Shervin Shaffiy.
- Moshkin Ghalam, S: "Tasneef-ha, Taraneh-ha, va Soroud-hayeh Iran Zamin", Khaneh Sabz Tabestan Press, 1378.
- "Anoushiravan Rohani, Know Him Better". WhatsUpIran.com. Retrieved Aug 19, 2014.