19th Division (Syrian rebel group)
الفرقة 19Participant in the Syrian Civil War
Logo of the 19th Division
|Leaders||Lt. Col. Muhammad Abdel Qadur Bakur (nom de guerre: "Abu Bakr")|
|Area of operations||Aleppo Governorate|
|Part of||Army of Mujahideen|
|Battles and war(s)||Syrian Civil War|
The 19th Division (Arabic: الفرقة 19) was a Syrian rebel group which fought in the Syrian Civil War. The group was created in June 2013 in the western countryside of the Aleppo Governorate as a part of a foreign-funded project to unify local Free Syrian Army-affiliated factions into bigger factions.
In September 2012, the Ansar Brigade (Arabic: لواء الانصار, Liwa al-Ansar) was formed as part of the Mutasim Billah Brigades in the western Aleppo countryside. The group was known for producing improvised fighting vehicles. In June 2013, the group joined several other rebel groups in the area and formed the 19th Division.
In late June 2013, a rebel court in Darat Izza arrested a media activist after he criticized Lt. Col. Muhammad Bakur, commander of the Ansar Brigade of the 19th Division. The arrest was condemned by an opposition court in Atarib, which demanded the Darat Izza court to release him.
- "The Mujahedeen Army of Aleppo". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. 8 April 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Key Syrian rebels reject National Coalition". Al Jazeera English. 25 September 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Syria: Army of the Mujahideen Challenges ISIS Gains". Al Akhbar. 6 January 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Formation of the Mutasim Billah Brigades of the Free Army". Free Sarmada. 9 September 2012.
- "DIY Weapons of the Syrian Rebels". The Atlantic. 20 February 2013.
- "Media arrest in Aleppo for criticizing the commander of a brigade in the free". Zaman al-Wasl. 1 July 2013.
- New York Times, 27 July 2013, Soldiers’ Mass Execution Reported by Syria Group
|This Syrian opposition-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a specific military unit is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|