|Traded as||ASX: ANN|
|Founded||1929(as Dunlop Perdriau Ltd.)|
|Founder||Eric Norman Ansell|
|Magnus Nicolin (CEO)|
|Products||Latex gloves, Personal protective equipment|
|Revenue||US$1.590 billion (2018)|
|US$206 million (2014)|
Ansell was formed as Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company of Australasia Ltd in 1899, when the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company of the United Kingdom incorporated its Australian branch, formed in 1893, and floated it on the Australian stock exchanges. In 1906 the company changed its name to the Dunlop Rubber Company of Australasia Ltd, and in 1929 changed it again, following a merger with the Perdriau Rubber Company, to Dunlop Perdriau Ltd.
At this time the company's main business was the production of automobile tyres. The company expanded into other rubber products, including footwear in 1948. In 1967, the company changed its name to Dunlop Australia, and continued to diversify.
In 1969 Dunlop Australia acquired the Ansell Rubber Company, which had been founded in 1929 (originally as E. N. Ansell & Sons) by Eric Norman Ansell, at the time a worker for Dunlop Rubber Company of Australasia. Ansell started out developing condoms before moving into other areas such as gas masks and weather balloons as well as developing the first mass-produced disposable latex gloves.
Dunlop Australia continued to expand. In 1980 it acquired a competitor and became known as Dunlop Olympic, and in 1986 changed its name to Pacific Dunlop, reflecting its geographic expansion. In 1986 it entered into a joint venture with Goodyear Tire to manufacture and distribute tyres in Australasia. Pacific Dunlop diversified into clothing, batteries, healthcare products and food, and by the mid-1990s was one of the 20 largest companies in Australia, with operations in 20 countries.
In the later 1990s, Pacific suffered from falling profits and a high debt burden. It began a programme of divestment, selling its food and battery businesses. The clothing and footwear businesses were floated off as Pacific Brands in 2001, and the company determined to focus on the healthcare products of its Ansell subsidiary. Finally, in 2002, the company changed its name to Ansell Limited.
- 2011, acquisition of Sandel Medical Industries, a recognized leader in the development of staff and patient safety disposable products in the US.
- 2012, acquisition of Trelleborg Protective Products, a provider of chemical protective suits and Comasec, a player in the European personal protective equipment glove market.
- 2013, acquisition of Midas, a Korean manufacturer and supplier of knitted, cut resistant industrial gloves and Hércules, a manufacturer of personal protective equipment in Brazil.
- 2014, acquisition of BarrierSafe Solutions International, a North American provider of single-use gloves and Hands International, a Sri Lankan glove manufacturer.
- 2017, sale of the sexual wellness business to Humanwell Healthcare and CITIC Capital.
- 2018, acquisition of Digitcare, a US exam and specialty glove supplier.
Brands and products
Ansell has various sub brands operating around the world for its protective gloves products.
- "List of worldwide offices". Ansell.com. Archived from the original on 29 November 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Board of directors". Ansell.com. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Ansell sells condom division to Chinese consortium for $800 million". Sydney Morning Herald. 25 May 2017. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
- "Ansell Ltd. - Company History". Fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "The Ansell Limited story". Ansell.com. 16 August 1920. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Latex Gloves". Biotechnology-innovation.com.au. 18 April 2007. Archived from the original on 15 October 2009. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "ANSELL LIMITED ACQUIRES SANDEL MEDICAL INDUSTRIES, LLC". Ansell - Press Releases. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "ANSELL LIMITED ACQUIRES TRELLEBORG'S PROTECTIVE PRODUCTS BUSINESS". Ansell - Press Releases. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "ANSELL LIMITED ACQUIRES COMASEC SAS". Ansell - Press Releases. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "ANSELL LIMITED ACQUIRES KOREAN GLOVE MANUFACTURER MIDAS CO. LTD". Ansell - Press Releases. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "ANSELL LIMITED ACQUIRES HÉRCULES EQUIPAMENTOS DE PROTECAO LTDA". Ansell - Press Releases. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "ANSELL LIMITED TO ACQUIRE BARRIERSAFE SOLUTIONS INTERNATIONAL". Ansell - Press Releases. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "ANSELL AGREES SALE OF SEXUAL WELLNESS AND ANNOUNCES SHARE BUY-BACK". Ansell - Press Releases. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "Ansell Healthcare Products LLC To Acquire Exam & Specialty Glove Supplier Digitcare". Ansell - Press Releases. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- "Products & Brands". Ansell.com. Archived from the original on 3 December 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2011.