Veloso in 2011
|Full name||António Augusto da Silva Veloso|
|Date of birth||31 January 1957|
|Place of birth||São João da Madeira, Portugal|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Full back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
António Augusto da Silva Veloso (born 31 January 1957) is a retired Portuguese professional footballer who played most of his professional career with Benfica. A gritty defender who could appear in the flanks and on occasion in the middle, he played for a decade and a half at his main club, and was team captain from 1988 to 1995.
Born in São João da Madeira, Veloso starting playing football with hometown's A.D. Sanjoanense, then moved to S.C. Beira-Mar for a further two seasons. He joined Primeira Liga club S.L. Benfica for 1980–81, and was an everpresent fixture until his retirement, helping the capital side to seven leagues and five cups.
With Benfica, Veloso also played in the UEFA Cup final in 1982–83, as they lost to R.S.C. Anderlecht 1–2 on aggregate and, most notably, in the 1987–88 European Champions Cup final, where he missed the penalty shootout attempt that gave PSV Eindhoven the final win (5–6).
An injury left Veloso out of the team that reached the 1990 European Cup final, lost to A.C. Milan. He retired at 38 after 15 seasons with the same club and more than 500 overall appearances, subsequently becoming a coach.
Veloso earned 40 caps for Portugal, making his debut on 18 November 1981 in a 2–1 win over Scotland for the 1982 FIFA World Cup qualifiers. He played at UEFA Euro 1984 where the national team reached the semi-finals, and was left outside the 1986 World Cup squad due to a doping test, that was later proved to be fake.
- Primeira Liga: 1980–81, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1986–87, 1988–89, 1990–91, 1993–94
- Taça de Portugal: 1980–81, 1982–83, 1984–85, 1985–86, 1986–87, 1992–93
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 1980, 1985, 1989
- Malheiro, João (July 2006). Memorial Benfica 100 Glórias [Benfica Memorial, 100 glories] (in Portuguese) (Third ed.). QuidNovi. p. 144-145. ISBN 978-972-8998-26-4.
- "Veloso: "Todos discutiam e ninguém queria marcar o penálti. Tive de ser eu..."" [Veloso: "Everybody was arguing and no one wanted to take the penalty. It had to be me..."]. Expresso (in Portuguese). 18 March 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Platini faz a diferença em meia-final de sonho" [Platini makes the difference in dream semi-final] (in Portuguese). UEFA. 4 October 2003. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "António Veloso: "Aquelas análises não eram minhas de certeza!"" [António Veloso: “Those analysis where not mine for sure!”]. Observador (in Portuguese). 4 June 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Bandeirinha por Veloso" [Bandeirinha for Veloso]. i (in Portuguese). 9 May 2015. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "«Miguel Veloso está lesionado», diz o pai" [«Miguel Veloso is injured», says father]. Record (in Portuguese). 28 February 2009. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "Os Velosos" [The Velosos]. Record (in Portuguese). 18 March 2009. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Especial 'Tetra'" ['Tetra' special edition]. Mística (in Portuguese). No. 33. Portugal: Impresa Publishing. April – June 2017. p. 80. ISSN 3846-0823.
- "Bicampeões para a história" [Back-to-back champions for the ages]. Visão (in Portuguese). Portugal: Impresa Publishing. May 2015. p. 56. ISSN 0872-3540.
- Prata, João; Perdigão, Carlos (June 1995). Biografias: Veloso, carisma, garra e dedicação! [Biographies: Veloso, charisma, grit and dedication!]. Lisgráfica. Depósito Legal [Deposit number]: 84768/94.