Ant-Man and The Wasp: Nano Battle!
|Ant-man and The Wasp: Nano Battle!|
|Hong Kong Disneyland|
Marvel Land (future)
|Soft opening date||March 28, 2019|
|Opening date||March 31, 2019|
|Replaced||Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters|
|Attraction type||Shooting Dark ride|
|Designer||Walt Disney Imagineering|
|Theme||Ant-Man and The Wasp|
|Music||Ant-Man and the Wasp (soundtrack)|
|Riders per vehicle||2|
|Duration||4min 09s (Full Speed)|
When a routine trip to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Science and Technology Pavilion at Stark Expo takes an unexpected turn, guests join forces with Ant-Man and The Wasp in S.H.I.E.L.D.’s state-of-the-art vehicle to fight against Arnim Zola and his army of Hydra swarm-bots in a heroic battle.
Differences with the previous attraction
The ride uses the exact same ride layout and ride system (omnimover) as the former Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters attraction. The show scenes and ride vehicles have been modified to fit the new storyline and the shooting system has been upgraded for more precision, using laser technology. However, the building's exterior and queue have been entirely overhauled to fit the new theme of the Shield's Science and Technology Pavilion, with no visible traces of the old queue and ride exterior. Another difference to note is that the ride vehicles can no longer be directed by the guest and follow a precise orientation along the path.
Guests enter the newly opened SHIELD Science and Technology Pavilion at the Stark Expo in Hong Kong Disneyland, were they are supposed to discover technological innovations showcased by SHIELD. In the lobby, guests discover through screens featuring Leslie Lam, Ant-Man, The Wasp and Iron Man that the Pavilion is under attack by Arnim Zola and his army of Swarnbots. Their goal is to steal the "Data Core", precious datas stored by SHIELD in the Pavilion. During the queue guests are asked by the protagonists to participate in the fight along with Ant-Man and The Wasp using the Daggers (ride vehicle) and EMP-Blasters (shooter gun). Many Easter Eggs are hidden in the actor's video appearances, such as Rudd and Lilly speaking cantonese. Visitors are also able to browse select artifacts from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including the Destroyer Armour Prototype Gun Agent Phil Coulson used to confront Loki with in The Avengers (2012).
Guests than board their ride vehicles and use their guns to shoot targets disposed in the different scenes in order to destroy the swarnbots. Ant-Man and The Wasp are featured during the ride fighting alongside the guests through screens and audio. At the middle of the ride, guests have the illusion of being shrunk by the superheroes in order to destroy the bots from the inside. At the end of the ride, guests and superheroes defeat Arnim Zola. After being congratulated by all the protagonists, guest disembark from their vehicles and enter the attraction's gift shop, Pavilion Gifts.
The attraction was announced on November 22, 2016 as part of the new expansion plan coming to Hong Kong Disneyland. At the time, it was described as a "brand new experience for guests to fight alongside the icons of the Marvel Universe", with no further details on the experience, except a concept-art featuring Ant-Man. This attraction is to be featured in the upcoming Marvel Land, along with the Iron Man Experience and the upcoming Avengers E-ticket attraction.
The attraction, along with its opening date, were officially presented to the public on January 8, 2019 by the imagineers in charge of the project. It was announced that the ride would share a common narrative with the other Marvel attraction present at Hong Kong Disneyland, Iron Man Experience, and that the team from the eponymous movies, including Peyton Reed, Christopher Beck, Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly and Toby Jones were involved in the attraction, with the actors reprising their respective roles of Ant-Man / Scott Lang, The Wasp / Hope Van Dyne and Arnim Zola in the attraction. Bryan Thombs, senior creative director of Nano Battle from Walt Disney Imagineering, stated a key part of the experience would be the difference in scale between the normal world and the gigantic size of everything as seen from a miniature perspective.
The launch ceremony was held on Thursday 28 March 2019. It was attended by more than 1,000 guests, including Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po, Jessica Hsuan, who plays a Hong Kong-specific Marvel character named Leslie Lam, and Rudd. as well as Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, Marvel Entertainment's chief creative officer Joe Quesada, "Ant-Man" director Peyton Reed and producer Stephen Broussard.
- Marvel themed areas at Disney parks
- Iron-Man Experience
- Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout !
- Ant-Man and the Wasp
- "Ant-Man and The Wasp: Nano Battle! set to open on March 31, 2019". Hong Kong Disneyland. 8 January 2019.
- Thomas Smith (25 July 2018). "Ant-Man and The Wasp: Nano Battle! Coming to Hong Kong Disneyland in 2019". Disney Parks Blog.
- "HK Disneyland's newest Marvel attraction 'Ant-Man and The Wasp: Nano Battle' to open in late March, here's what to expect". South China Morning Post. 9 January 2019.
- "Hong Kong Disneyland Set for Multi-Year Transformation with All-New Attractions and Entertainment". news-en.hongkongdisneyland.com. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Hong Kong Disneyland to bid farewell to Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters to prepare for future development and another exciting Marvel attraction". news-en.hongkongdisneyland.com. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "New Details on Hong Kong Disneyland Expansion Unveiled". news-en.hongkongdisneyland.com. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Ant-Man and The Wasp: Nano Battle! set to open on March 31, 2019". news-en.hongkongdisneyland.com. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- Kanis Leung (29 March 2019). "Hong Kong Disneyland introduces Leslie Lam, the city's first Marvel character, as theme park continues HK$10.9 billion expansion plan". South China Morning Post.
- Christine Dinh (29 March 2019). "Paul Rudd Kicks Off Launch of Ant-Man and The Wasp: Nano Battle! in Hong Kong Disneyland". Marvel.com.