Antanas Sutkus (born 27 June 1939) is a Lithuanian photographer. He is a recipient of the Lithuanian National Prize for Culture and Arts and Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas. Sutkus was one of the co-founders and a president of the Lithuanian Association of Art Photographers (Lithuanian: Lietuvos fotografijos meno draugija).
Life and work
He "studied journalism at Vilnius University in the late 1950s before becoming disillusioned by the confines of the Soviet-controlled press. He began taking photographs instead, and soon co-founded the Lithuanian Association of Art Photographers."
He is best known "for his life-long survey, People of Lithuania," begun in 1976 to document the changing life and people of Lithuania. Working at the time when Lithuania (as the Lithuanian SSR) was part of the Soviet Union, Sutkus focused on black and white portraits of ordinary people in their everyday life rather than the model citizens and workers promoted by Soviet propaganda.
Sutkus had an opportunity to spend time with Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir in 1965 when they visited Lithuania. One image, taken against the white sand of Nida, is highly regarded as capturing Sartre's ideas.
- Vilkolakio Teatras. Vilnius: Vaga, 1969. OCLC 1421897.
- Neringa. Vilnius: Mintis, 1982. OCLC 11114726. Text in English, German, Lithuanian, and Russian.
- Lietuva = Lithuaniua. Vilnius: Lietuvos Fotomeninink Sąjungos Fondas, 1992. OCLC 442398420. Edited and with a text by Alfred Bumblauskas.
- Antanas Sutkus: Fotografijos: 1959-1999 = Antanas Sutkus: Photographs: 1959-1999. Vilnius: Baltos lankos, 2000. ISBN 9789955000242.
- Retrospektyva = Retrospective. Vilnius: Sapna Sala, 2009. ISBN 9789955611417.
- Lithuanian Portraits. With a text by Nadim Julien Samman. Accompanied an exhibition at White Space Gallery, London, and Signs of Time Gallery, Moscow.
- People of Lithuania. Kaunas, Lithuania: Kaunas Photography Gallery; Lithuanian Photographer’s Association, 2015. ISBN 9786098099096. With a preface by Willaim A. Ewing and an essay by Margarita Matulytė. Edited by Gintaras Česonis in cooperation with Ewing, Jean-Marc Lacabe and Margarita Matulytė.
- In Memoriam. London: White Space Gallery, 2016. With a text by Alfonsas Bukontas.
- 1997: Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas.
- 2003: Lithuanian National Prize for Culture and Arts
- Un Regard Libre, Le château d’eau, pôle photographique de Toulouse, Toulouse, France, March–April 2011.
- Nostalgia for Bare Feet, The Lumiere Brothers Center for Photography, Moscow, April–May 2016.
- "An 'epic poem' of life in Soviet Lithuania – in pictures". The Guardian. London. 8 April 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- (Lithuanian) Antanui Sutkui – 70 (2009-06-30). Bernardinai.lt
- "Exploring Photography: Photographers: Antanas Sutkus" Victoria and Albert Museum
- "Remaking Europe in the margins: Northern Europe after the enlargements" Christopher Browning, Ashgate Publishing, p. 41
- "Beyond memory: Soviet nonconformist photography and photo-related works of art" Diane Neumaier, Zimmerli Art Museum at Rutgers University, p. 251
- "Lithuanian Portraits/Signs of Time: Antanas Sutkus" White Space Gallery. Accessed 22 September 2016
- "Antanas Sutkus" Le château d’eau, pôle photographique de Toulouse. Accessed 22 September 2016
- "Босоногое детство. Антанас Суткус" Accessed 21 September 2016
- Official website
- "Virtual exhibition of Sutkus' works and a short bio". Archived from the original on 2006-02-06. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- Sutkus profile at White Space Gallery